Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Xterra, had the white IPDM. It would stall occasionally, so I would swap relays around and get it home. Bought new relays, still stalled within 5 miles of putting those in, so I replaced the IPDM with the redesigned black version (284B7-ZE03C) last night. Ran it up and down the road for 10 miles or so with no issues. Cranked it up and started off to work this morning, and it stalled on me again after about 15 miles. Sat on the side of the interstate for a few minutes, cranked it up, and drove to work with the SES, VDC Off, & SLIP lights all on, but had no other issues. If the new IPDM didn't fix the problem, what else could it be? I will admit, my positive battery terminal looks like someone dumped a blue pixie stick on it, and I was too lazy to deal with it last night while replacing the IPDM. Not sure if that would contribute to the issue. TIA.

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
940 Posts
Almost certainly a camshaft or crankshaft position sensor on this. Get the codes from the ECM read. These sensors can also activate the abs warning lights

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Almost certainly a camshaft or crankshaft position sensor on this. Get the codes from the ECM read. These sensors can also activate the abs warning lights
No ABS light right now. If it is one of the position sensors, fingers crossed that it's the crankshaft. Those camshaft sensors look like a bear to get to.

·
Registered
940 Posts
They are more difficult but still only one screw and one connector. Be careful not to damage these connectors as they can get brittle with age. I would also recommend using OE parts if possible. I have seen horrible reliability with aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are more difficult but still only one screw and one connector. Be careful not to damage these connectors as they can get brittle with age. I would also recommend using OE parts if possible. I have seen horrible reliability with aftermarket ones.
Code P0340, bank 1 camshaft sensor. Not what I wanted to hear, but I think I can tackle it. Should I bite the bullet and replace both camshaft sensors and the crankshaft sensor?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Yes but only if you buy the right ones. If you’re planning on buying literally anything but OE then I would just replace the one. It’s worth it to have some brake parts/electrical parts cleaner on hand because often times these sensors will have oil in the connector and residue on the vehicles harness can cause a poor connection

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I've been through most of the Xterra issues over the last two years and from what you've said here's what I would check:
replace the battery terminal lugs
you've already replaced the IPDM and that's not the issue
could be a cam or crank sensor but those will normally throw a code, you didn't list any codes?
I would get a can of starting spray, next time it stops check to see if it runs with starter spray, if it does then most likely the connection to the fuel pump is the problem, or the pump itself. yes you've got to drop the tank to check but not as bad as it looks.
Good luck

·
Registered
344 Posts
So I've been through most of the Xterra issues over the last two years and from what you've said here's what I would check:
replace the battery terminal lugs
you've already replaced the IPDM and that's not the issue
could be a cam or crank sensor but those will normally throw a code, you didn't list any codes?
I would get a can of starting spray, next time it stops check to see if it runs with starter spray, if it does then most likely the connection to the fuel pump is the problem, or the pump itself. yes you've got to drop the tank to check but not as bad as it looks.
Good luck
In post #5 they list code P0340.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts