Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends!

I recently replaced my fuel pump on my 2009 xterra but now the truck won't start. It tries but it acts as if its not getting any fuel to actually start. There is no pressure in the fuel line but I'm not sure where or what to check for a vacuum leak or if the issue may be something else. The pump kicks on also. There's just no gas getting to where it needs to be. 馃槄

Thanks for any help and advice!

Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
Gotta ask. Was it the pump that goes in the tank, or did someone "replace" an external pump, which the stock vehicle did not come with?

When you turn the key to ON but don't start it, do you hear the pump run for about 1-2 seconds and then turn off? If so, turn the key Off and then back On (don't start). Does it make that sound again? If so, then test the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. I'm not sure Nissan has the valve for it. If not, it'll be more work. If you have a scanner (Bluetooth version or other), you may be able to access the live data and see what the ECM is reporting as fuel pressure.

Is the MAF plugged in? Are all the fuses good? Are all of the relays plugged in? Is the trans in Park or Neutral (for auto), or is it in Neutral with the clutch engaged (for manual), when you're trying to start it?

Have you had the codes scanned? What are they? Make sure the scan includes all 4 code groups: B, C, P, and U, not just the common P codes.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gotta ask. Was it the pump that goes in the tank, or did someone "replace" an external pump, which the stock vehicle did not come with?

When you turn the key to ON but don't start it, do you hear the pump run for about 1-2 seconds and then turn off? If so, turn the key Off and then back On (don't start). Does it make that sound again? If so, then test the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. I'm not sure Nissan has the valve for it. If not, it'll be more work. If you have a scanner (Bluetooth version or other), you may be able to access the live data and see what the ECM is reporting as fuel pressure.

Is the MAF plugged in? Are all the fuses good? Are all of the relays plugged in? Is the trans in Park or Neutral (for auto), or is it in Neutral with the clutch engaged (for manual), when you're trying to start it?

Have you had the codes scanned? What are they? Make sure the scan includes all 4 code groups: B, C, P, and U, not just the common P codes.
I changed the pump from inside the fuel tank. There is no external pump. The pump comes on and stays on. There's no pressure in the line and I've checked and changed the fuse. I need to get the codes scanned if there are any. When I had the car towed, the driver was nice enough to stop at O'reilly's for me to have them ran but nothing popped up. I don't trust that but I have a friend with a good scanned that should be coming tonight to help me out with that.

Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
Changed the pump but no pressure? Not good. Could be the pump was inserted somehow that folded the filter sock onto the intake port, but not very likely.

I think what I'd do is find the easiest place on the engine to open the fuel line to atmosphere, then turn the pump on and back off very briefly. If possible, have something handy to capture any fuel that comes out, and have a fire extinguisher at the ready as well.

Dumb question, but is there gas in the tank?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts