Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Washed my X today and noticed that the paint is cracking and chipping away all over the hood and in a few spots around the body.

How much is a reasonable price to have it repainted? or is it not worth it?

I'm more concerned about rust then the cracking. There are a few rust spots that I am already planning to take care of, but now it looks like it'll be a non stop battle of filling in the spots.

I have a 2004 Xterra 4x4 with under 90k miles on it which I just bought a year ago.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Pretty sure macco will do a paint job for 200. Catch is you gotta do all the prep and taping. Which on an x wouldnt be hard. Take roof rack off tape everything up after you prime your hood etc. A good paint job with all the work will be close to a couple grand. Do some shopping around. Me personally when my paint looks shitty im just gonna get the thing plasti dipped matte black.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Washed my X today and noticed that the paint is cracking and chipping away all over the hood and in a few spots around the body.

How much is a reasonable price to have it repainted? or is it not worth it?

I'm more concerned about rust then the cracking. There are a few rust spots that I am already planning to take care of, but now it looks like it'll be a non stop battle of filling in the spots.

I have a 2004 Xterra 4x4 with under 90k miles on it which I just bought a year ago.
This all depends on a couple of factors for you to weight out on your end:
- how long are you planning to keep it?
- are you willing to do the prep work?
- as mentioned above paint jobs can range from a couple of hundred to thousands depending where you take it
- are you planning to do a color change? (much higher cost as door jambs, engine bay and other interior metal that shows would have to be painted

I was thinking of doing the same to mine, BUT I will keep my color, I have very minimal body work to be done and my paint is in pretty great shape still, I would be doing this as the previous owner had a small run in with a lamp post (back right corner, primed) as well as my paint has a few scratches here and there from vandalism or scooters coming too close to it when it has been parked (you can see the slight handlebar marks on the doors)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still debating to keep it until it dies or not. Not planning on buying another truck for at least 4 years so this X has to at least last me that long. The Oil Pan is starting to rust as well and it's another big $$$ that I need to have someone fix.

I wouldn't mind keeping it the stock "Just Blue" color, but if i'm going to have it repainted I'm leaning towards painting it the 2nd Gen Xterra "Metallic Blue".

I'm going to fix the rust spots before it gets any worst, but I'll likely have the shop take care of the prep work. I've been checking places online and it seems for a good job with some body work most people have spent in the $3,500 range for their vehicles. For a half ass job at Maaco people have spent around $1,500.

·
Registered
28 Posts
some pics had new tires put on some may be before and after but im happy with it so far took it offroading went through tumbleweeds you can hear scratching on the side no marks holding up well so far almost 7 months original color was white I paid 350.00 parts and labor

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
some pics had new tires put on some may be before and after but im happy with it so far took it offroading went through tumbleweeds you can hear scratching on the side no marks holding up well so far almost 7 months original color was white I paid 350.00 parts and labor
sir... SIR! I am at a loss for words! I love that color and is exactly what I had in mind for my truck if I were to plasti dip it! I love the flat color and was planning to do mine flat black or gray. Your truck looks amazing with the plasti dip. One problem, I am in Mexico and this stuff is super and I mean super expensive here. I looked at one normal size spray can and it was like $25.00 US or so. I don't even want to think what they would charge for 2-3 gallons as I would spray it myself.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The battle against rust for First Gen owners never ends :(

·
Registered
248 Posts
mine has zero rust and is a 2001, always been in dry Mexican climate, I am surprised the original paint has held up as well as it has and is not faded from the sun

·
Registered
140 Posts
You're lucky. Where I'm from we get everything. Mostly the wet cold and the salt from the roads that just destroys everything on my 02'.

·
Premium Member
8,525 Posts
Mine has 0 rust even by the ocean still looks like new we have a bug problem here if you go out after dark you get some big hits.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts