Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update: A copy worked; no chip. See post #7 below.

I have a 2002 XE automatic 4x4 with keyless entry. I'm going to put a Viper 5901 remote starter/alarm in it. I'm doing it for the starter, but the alarm's a plus.

Am I going to need a spare key to put in the car (a transmitter box)? I searched this forum extensively and found statements that seem to point both ways. I also went through each page of the "interior mods" subforum manually and didn't find an answer.

I saved these quotes but don't know the sources:
"Xterras don't have transponders. One of the few Nissans that don't. Passlock is a GM thing. Really easy vehicle to do"

"That car has a transponder and you will need a 555U. This is for a 2002 but I'm sure it will help you considerably."

Thanks

·
I'm kinda wacko
5,315 Posts
Very very few 02's had transponders in them. The easiest way to tell for sure, is go have a cheap spare key made at your local home center for like $2, if it starts the car, then you're good to go. (no transponder).

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. To save the trip to get a key copied, would you be able to tell by looking at the key if I posted a picture of it?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suppose I'll go the key copy route to test it. If it works, I have a spare key. If it doesn't work, I know I need the box and will hold off my install until I have all the parts. I hate doing a job twice!

Thanks for the input guys.

·
I'm kinda wacko
5,315 Posts
I was told by the alarm place that none of this gen had transponders.
That is true to a point, lol, but there have been a few that did (I'm thinking they were a dealer installed type aftermarket), so I never rule them out. It's kind of like the TPMS censors on the tires, none of the first gens were supposed to have those either, but even a few guys on here have them from the factory or dealer. (But as the owner of an auto sound and security shop for the last 20+ years, I've learned you just never know now a days, lol)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to a hardware store today and they happened to have a tester near the key copier that reads if the key has a chip/resistor in it or not. Mine did not. I had copies made, and they work. The book at the store lumped 02-04 together but I forget what it said about a chip, but the blank it listed worked without any programming. I have an ’02 with the factory keyless entry and the “security” flashing LED in the dash. It was $3 well spent because I have spare keys and I know I’ll have an easier time with the remote starter.

·
I'm kinda wacko
5,315 Posts
Perfect. You're set then.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yea, as stated most 02-04s didnt have the transponder. Found mainly in the "SE" model. The 05+'s do have transponders (installed a remote start in one today)

Ya run into any problems with the isntall shoot me a text message 86zero - four2four-one2five0.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i was actually thinking about getting a remote start for my 03 xterra se sc. i know nothing about this and i dont want to go to a place to get it installed and have these guys walk all over me. can you guys help me out? sorry to jack this thread.. the search i did didnt help :/

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Kinda busy at work right now, but might be able to get you more detail later tonight. First check that you don't need a transponder type key by getting a copy made and seeing if it works. Then to save a lot of hassle, go to a junkyard and buy the two plugs at the ignition harness connection to the cab harness. That way you can do most of the splicing at a workbench/table.

I got mine done last weekend; took 9 hours. Would probably take half that if I did it again. It wont take you 9 hours if I write up something for you later.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
I got mine done last weekend; took 9 hours. Would probably take half that if I did it again. It wont take you 9 hours if I write up something for you later.
I just bought the 5901 and as soon as it arrives I'm going to do the install. Would love to see a writeup! I went to the junkyard last weekend, I'm kicking myself for not picking up an extra wiring harness.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'll put something together in the next few days. Here's a draft I'll expand upon, probably with some pictures.

I decided to place the brain below the storage pocket in front of the shifters. There's barely enough room, but with enough cramming, it fits.
There were many unused wires coming off the Viper harness. I bundled them up about 6" away from the connector and ziptied them together.

Pull the stereo out, and the drivers side panel in front of your knees, and the steering column cover. You should be able to do this all with a #2 and #3 philips. I also took off both the kick panels and removed the glove compartment, but don't know how necessary those really were.

For power, use an 8-9 gauge wire directly from the battery, fused close to the battery (50A) like for a speaker amp. Ran it through 3-4" grommet passenger side footwell, to a power distro block to the 3 power wires for the rem start. See pic at bottom. Arrow points to the grommet I poked with a box knife to make a slit then shoved the power wire through with needle nose pliers. Stuff it until it stops, then go inside the cab - I'm 2 for 2 on being able to reach wires when I used this method, but I suppose there's a chance it will get hung up on something and not come down from where the grommet is.

For ground, I used a bolt that holds the t-case shifter down.

At steering column, hooked both ignition and starter wires together with the output from the remote starter. I think there are two of each to carry twice the current without increasing the wire size of a single wire.

Quck-tap into the brake wire above pedal.

Parking light output connected to wire under steering column cover.

Hood switch - factory wire didn't work. My wiring diagram may have been wrong. Hooked up to a ground, which isn't safe, but the remote start works.
Neutral start switch - hook to a ground.
Remote start enable switch - connect and run to footwell but secure switch just behind the edge of the panel so you have to reach behind to flip it.

Pulled the a-pillar off and stuck the antenna right above the rear view mirror with the wire going right into the headliner. Ran wire down a-pillar through the brackets Nissan nicely put there for me, and tucked into edge of dashboard.

I didn't use the siren because I was only concerned with the remote start. I hooked it up temporarily for programming options because it chirps a certain number of times to indicate which menu you're in.
Programming - you have to set it to "automatic transmission" mode; the default is manual. (if you have an auto, of course.)

I have yet to hook it up to my locks or rear defroster. If you know which wires and where they are, let me know. My wiring diagram didn't seem to work so I gave up and said "eh, it's good enough, I'm done."

Power wire grommet:

Wire for park lights is in here, where the blue quick-tap is:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts