Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has a 2003 supercharged Xterra with 170,000 miles. Rear main seal was leaking and she ran it out of oil, oops. She babied it along for a couple of months, but it spun a rod bearing. Now I am deciding weather to rebuild the engine or replace with a used engine. A couple of questions, is the naturally aspirated engine the same as the supercharged engine, able to swap intake manifold and install supercharger? Also, how many miles will these engines run if taken care of properly?

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
749 Posts
NA engine is the same except it has higher compression. Everything will swap over but you have to swap everything over. I’d recommend trying to get a quality JDM engine. This job is a lot of work. I think the flat rate time for a long block is 22 hours and that doesn’t include the time of stripping the Japanese engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NA engine is the same except it has higher compression. Everything will swap over but you have to swap everything over. I’d recommend trying to get a quality JDM engine. This job is a lot of work. I think the flat rate time for a long block is 22 hours and that doesn’t include the time of stripping the Japanese engine.
Thanks for the info. I realize that it will take a lot of time, even if I use a used engine, I will replace seals, timing and water pump, and anything else that looks like it is needed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow, Orange Crush is in the house! I expect it will run as good as it looks! Nice work!
thanks hope so too
Right now I’m button it up hopefully I’ll start up tonight
re-deck and honing the engine with rebuilt heads also with stage one cams cost me about 1400$
New pistons rings gasket kit and some other parts about 600$
So in the engine alone I’m about to 2000$ give or take a couple hundred dollars
This project was over a year and the cost is much higher because I did a lot more also wasn’t all at once

·
Registered
749 Posts
That’s insane! Hope it ends up being worth it. I got a Japanese engine delivered for $900 and I’ve been driving it for almost two years

·
Registered
749 Posts
I bought mine off eBay. I just looked to verify and I bought mine 7/2/2018 and it was $949 including freight. Looks like mine came from a place called JDM Westside. Check for local vendors too

·
Registered
66 Posts

this is the cost for a new engine with stock heads
So far with the performance cams I’m still under cost rebuilding than new
A use engine is cheaper always but you’ll never know the condition it is for sure until you open it
So for a bit more money I rather be sure

·
Registered
749 Posts
JDM engines are pulled from service at a much younger age. Most reputable sellers will compression test and otherwise inspect the engine. Many offer warranties to cover their product in case of failure. Most people don’t have the time or energy to rebuild an engine. I have no interest in investing all that time into mine. On top of that, I very often tell people not to install an engine that’s worth more than the vehicle

I thought fair condition would be a fair estimate but yours is probably worth less than this with a blown engine

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JDM engines are pulled from service at a much younger age. Most reputable sellers will compression test and otherwise inspect the engine. Many offer warranties to cover their product in case of failure. Most people don’t have the time or energy to rebuild an engine. I have no interest in investing all that time into mine. On top of that, I very often tell people not to install an engine that’s worth more than the vehicle

View attachment 75766
I thought fair condition would be a fair estimate but yours is probably worth less than this with a blown engine
I agree with not putting more money into a vehicle than it's worth. Private party value is much higher, but still pretty cheap. This Xterra does have a new transmission in it, so I think it would be good for a long time with a good engine in it. I think my daughter might just sell it as-is now and not mess with it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wooooow
thanks for the heads up
I never thought about the value of the vehicle when I started all this
Or perhaps it was something else the value this vehicle something that everyone in this site found and that’s the reason they’re here for
what I’ve done I could’ve easily done it to another vehicle and posted on that vehicle site
If you don’t like what I did doesn’t concern me
I’m sharing what I’m doing to this vehicle because I think I’m in the correct site
Do you?

·
Registered
749 Posts
There appears to be some level of misunderstanding here. Please let me clarify:

I think what you did was great. Looks neat

not everyone wants to do what you did

it’s great that you share your input and help people make the decision that best fits them

some people post here asking the easiest/cheapest way out of a situation

some people here are enthusiasts and are more interested in “less practical” solutions

I use my extensive experience to offer advice that people may or may not take

given responses from OP in this particular thread, it looks like he may be looking to get rid of this vehicle instead of repairing it

just because the whole world doesn’t want to build a super engine doesn’t mean that they don’t like you

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wooooow
thanks for the heads up
I never thought about the value of the vehicle when I started all this
Or perhaps it was something else the value this vehicle something that everyone in this site found and that’s the reason they’re here for
what I’ve done I could’ve easily done it to another vehicle and posted on that vehicle site
If you don’t like what I did doesn’t concern me
I’m sharing what I’m doing to this vehicle because I think I’m in the correct site
Do you?
If this was my vehicle, I would probably rebuild it myself over the course of a few months. However, it is my daughter’s and I have no attachment to it, and she has only owned it for a few months, so she really doesn’t either. I used to rebuild a lot of engines, but as I get older, I find that I don’t enjoy it as much as I did. I think your rebuild looks great! I hope it gives you years of enjoyment.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You’re absolutely correct
thanks for the help you give everyone on this site
i’ve been following this site for sometime and seeing that you help a lot of people
this truck is not easy to work on and many shops they want to charge so much money for a simple repair
that’s the only reason this truck is under appreciate it and undervalue

·
Registered
3 Posts
You’re absolutely correct
thanks for the help you give everyone on this site
i’ve been following this site for sometime and seeing that you help a lot of people
this truck is not easy to work on and many shops they want to charge so much money for a simple repair
that’s the only reason this truck is under appreciate it and undervalue
Thank you guys for all this information!
I have a 2008 Nissan Xterra with over 225000 miles on it and it runs like a Swiss watch. They don’t make these anymore so I will never get rid of it. I love this truck!
When the time comes where can I buy a motor and or transmission for it?

·
Registered
66 Posts
O
Thank you guys for all this information!
I have a 2008 Nissan Xterra with over 225000 miles on it and it runs like a Swiss watch. They don’t make these anymore so I will never get rid of it. I love this truck!
When the time comes where can I buy a motor and or transmission for it?
On eBay u ll fine lots of them
If you’ll be able to do it yourself it could be very affordable 😏👍

1 - 20 of 22 Posts