Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
ive been reading a few things latley about removing the rear sway bar cuz it causes more bad than good. i just put in new shock all around last week and just noticed theres a small dent on my passenger rear shock, could this be from the bar? if i need to remove it, will it still be ok to drive on regular roads?

oh yeah, can anyone desribe how i take it out as well, pollleezzz

·
Premium Member
11,456 Posts
yes the damage on the shock is caused by the bar... if you look at the bar there is 2 brackets that hold it to the axle and there is 2 hangers that connect to tha body.... remove them and throw away the sway bar.. the socket you need is a 14mm per ricer-x..... you wont regret it

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
yes i bet the dent is from the sway bar.. take it off!! you will not notice a difference...

·
ClubX Administratorator
1,777 Posts
The dent is from the sway bar.

There are 8 total bolts you need to remove in order to get the swaybar off.

First unbolt each end of the bar from the endlink (skinny metal link that attaches the bar to the frame)

Next unbolt the 4 bolts that hold the sway bar to the axle, pull off the brackets, and take out the swaybar.

Finally remove the endlinks that you disconnected the bar from in the first step.

Enjoy your more flexible suspension.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
i condiser the rear way bar removal the best mod available!!

·
Premium Member
8,542 Posts
You also need a 14mm wrench.

The sway bar attaches up top to the frame. You turn the outside with a socket, and then the inside spins. Put the 14 on there. If you do not have a 14mm a 9/16 is the same size. The other 4 run across the axle. You only need to loosen the top, and remove the bottom. The bushing retainer will fall out. You might want to consider re-installing the hardware as well in order to prevent build up in there.

Yes I still care about the thread, but nobody knows how to use the search function. This has been covered about 5 million times.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
haha.. make a sway bar thread a sticky.. maybe there is one and I never paid attention because I dont have one lol..

·
Registered
131 Posts
get that rear sway bar off man it put a huge dent in my passenger rear shocks. It happens when you articulate when you wheel the dent is huge dude plus the drive is no different

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
very true i thrw mine awway when i took it off

1 - 12 of 12 Posts