Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a question that I hope I am putting in the right place. I have 2 Dana 44 axles one front one rear that I got from a junk yard as a pair. And I have them for an eventual solid axle swap, but that is for another time when I have a bit more money and have finished fixing up those axles. I am in the process of doing a 3 in suspension lift (by process I mean I am buying it a piece at a time) I was wondering if there was any reason I could not go ahead and restore the Dana 44 rear axle and slide it under there while I was at it? You know for a stronger axle with more locker options.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
10,028 Posts
I was wondering if there was any reason I could not go ahead and restore the Dana 44 rear axle and slide it under there while I was at it? You know for a stronger axle with more locker options.
Other than the width of the axle probably not. The only real reason to switch out the rear though would be for a cheaper locker option and to match the width on the SAS front unit. The H233B rear in these trucks is a 33 spline unit and a notoriously durable rear end. The reason to replace were the locker options and cost of gearing but the gearing costs have come down.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts