Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so finally changing my clutch. everything is off and wanting to remove rear main seal. I believe it is just 4 bolts holding the seal housing in and then getting a putty knife to etch out the existing housing around the seal. Is that it? please help. i'll be sure to post pics of my 15 year old and 120k mile burnt clutch. Hell the clutch is not even black it's all reddish.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

[/URL]
No need for a jack under neath the engine. The engine didn't move at all really.
[/URL]

The flywheel has some oil on it but nothing major. Honestly it doesn't look too bad. It always worked fine but if you want to floor it you get nothing but revs.

[/URL]
The rear main seal. My dad wants to pry it out with the retainer still on but he can't get it off. I told him he should take the retainer off.
You should take the retainer off right? i can't see any reason why not to.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
no input just wanted to get in on this thread since i need to do my rear main too at some point. Do you have the FSM for yours? Pretty sure it shows like you described as 4 bolts.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
no input just wanted to get in on this thread since i need to do my rear main too at some point. Do you have the FSM for yours? Pretty sure it shows like you described as 4 bolts.
Most of the time the leak is not the rear main seal . Easy check if you pull the starter and look at the back of the flywheel is dry then its not the main its the oil pan.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not have the FSM for the truck. I followed the Clutch install DIY on xterra nation. He practically detailed everything in this project which was great. The one thing I had lots of trouble doing was taking off the torsion bars. the internet and the haynes manual says to clear it of the cross member and that the torsion bars should come off with the torsion anchors. But that was impossible. So my dad grabbed a hammer and banged on the bar while i pushed down on it which it eventually pooped out. Even after taking off the torsion bar the anchors would not come off. They would wiggle but NOT COME OFF. As for the exhaust. we simply did not bother taking off screws. My dad grinded them off. here are some pics of the new rear main seal :

[/URL]
Whats scary is it didnt even have to be pressed in. Hopefully all will be fine.

[/URL]
right there is a lower rear seal under the retainer i had no idea about. Just put some RTV around it and put it back.

[/URL]
I definitely had a rear oil leak. Which would also explain why it smelled like burnt oil everytime i got out the truck... It was really compressed down there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts