Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So 1 day after i do my front brake pads it was stopping great etc not a problem i bleed them all properly etc etc. Well this morning i about went flying through a 4 way cause it wouldnt stop. I checked my resoirver it was at minimum level. put it back to full pumped breaks a few times and it went right back to minimum. Come to find out my rear brake cylinder had decided to spring a leak. Well problem is i cannot get the damn thing off for the life of me. The whole top part of it is coming off but the bottom isnt. Its as if something inside is holding it and i dont know how to adjust the shoes to go inwards. But ive got no e break on or anything. Im out of ideas. My truck is out of commision and right now i could kick a big ole dent in about 40 different spots on the damn thing. If someone could please tell me what in the world would be holding the stupid thing on you would be a legend! also i took the x2 bolts to push the thing and it actually pulled the threads straight out of the drum. Not really a problem as it only is to push it off. I got a tap and dye set ill be alright with that. But like i said the whole top will slide off. The bottom however will not ive smacked it with the biggest hammer wd 40 its as if there is a spring holding it but i pulled x2 rivet looking things out of the back so i dont think thats it either,

·
Registered
808 Posts
My guess is there's a ridge worn into the drums and the shoes are catching on that. It would feel like its held in by a spring. The adjusters are accessed by a rubber plug on the top of the backing plate. You take out the plug and use a screwdriver to ratchet it. I'm not certain which way to turn it though,sorry.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The backing plate like i seen 2 plugs. 1 of which is kind of wide and the other is a circular one. Ive never worked with drums but now that i am seeing picture of the inside i deffintelly think thats why. Actually i think i may get an l shaped thing and work them in there since the clip things have fallen in and they arent attached to the shoes anymore nor the master cylender and i think that it has failed actually. So gonna get a new hard ware kit once i get the damn thing off. I am gonna try and pull them in with whatever i find that has an L shape. The whole time comes out past the lugs. The bottom gets caught like half way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've had to beat (rubber mallet) drums off before (old poorly maintained vehicles). The aforementioned ridge that wears into the drum catches on the pads as you attempt to pull them off. But they do just pull straight off. Don't cock-off the drum while pulling it off. Whack it on opposite sides as you pull it off. Be sure your e-brake is not engaged.

Fidgeting with the pad tensioner adjuster thingie would be a last resort for me. They are impossible to see through the slot in the back plate... and until you get the drum off... it's hard to know where to put your screw driver (flat head) and which way to rotate the adjuster. If it's clicking as you spin it... it's likely expanding and tightening the pads against the drum... which you don't want.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Mine were too. I had to use an angle grinder and a cut off wheel to cut the drum off in slices. Not fun.

What you have is a ridge worn into the drum, and the shoes are catching the drum. If you can get a screwdriver in the hole in the backing plate, you may be able to adjust the star wheel enough to retract them, but I found it very tedious and difficult...hence the angle grinder. You have to push a little metal arm out of the way to allow the star wheel to rotate. Mine were pretty caked with mud, so it was difficult to turn it even when I had the screwdriver on it.

Took about 30 minutes with an angle grinder, and about a life time of jacking around with the backing plate, star wheel, and lever thingy. For reference, my other drum came off nice and easy with a small tap of a hammer...so if it is really stuck, don't force it.

Lesson learned...remove your drums periodically and spray out all of the mud and crap. I had a leaking cylinder too. Neglected maintenance is a b!+ch

PS: Try to remove the other drum if it is not stuck. Then you can look at the star wheel and see the lever you have to actuate. Much easier once you know what you are looking for.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I busted the little spring tabs on each side 10$ at the store for both sides. It took me 2 days for that one drum... I found a hammer and a flat head tapping the little wheel thing enough to make the drums retract to where I could ever so slightly pull it off with force as I wasn't about to spend the whole day messing with the stupid wheel. But I got it off and didn't adjust it back so only have front brakes until friday. My shoes were metal to metal. I'll get new ones friday. I don't wanna adjust it now. That way Friday I just pull it off put new ones in (hopefully I don't have to adjust the wheel more) but my breaks go half way down and after repeated skid marks in my drive way making sure they had enough pressure I think it's safe enough to go 1 mile a day till Friday lol. Plus I take the dirt roads to avoid traffic plus it's a small town. And you think yours where filled with mud idk how bad yours where but half of my drum literally half was filled. I cleaned it all of course but jesus o.o that was alot. Also will my drums and everything there appeared to be from the factory. The cylinder had nissan stamped on it. 183k miles can't argue with that I'll be it a bit** to get off though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.