Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So awhile back I was trying to figure out what was wrong with the axle of my 03' Xterra, and I found out that i have the C200 (apparently it's a rare axle to have, as I have been told) I could not find out what was wrong with it so I went on ahead and bought a HG49 axle from a V6 version. How hard is it to swap out the axles? How long does it usually take? I don't know much about axles swaps, and want to get a general idea of how long it's gonna take. Thanks guys

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hg49 should work assuming breaks and everything is the same I've never seen one. You should have tried getting it rebuilt first it's gonna be a little expensive on the swap depending on where you go. Unless you got a private mech like me lol. C200s from what I understand understand are the 2wd axle. 4x4so I think got the hg but don't quote me on that. If it's just an axle it should work and won't be too hard. Plus Imy pretty sure your gonna have a little more low end power now due to higherase ratio so that's a plus.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Go outside and look at your new axle, and, then, go under your truck, and look at your old one.

Pay attention to how the leaf pack mounts, which should be the same...and which you are mostly messing with.

Look at the rear axle.

I assume your X is RWD...so you have no t-case, etc.

The drive shaft may need modification if the ends don't reach/match...to get the power from the output shaft to the diff.

I have not swapped a C200, so I am guessing here, but the brake lines, etc, probably hook up in a similar fashion.

The rest should be a fairly direct swap.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I was able to get the axle in and all. Everything is pretty much a direct swap, but the issue I am having is the driveshaft and rear axle do not match up. The C200's use a 4 bolt set up to mount up correctly, the HG49 on the other hand is a 6 bolt set up. So I am thinking or two possible ways to make this work. Either build a custom plate to weld onto the current drive shaft, or try to make use of the mating parts off the C200 and see if that works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts