Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2003 X with the KA24DE motor in it with a 5 speed manual transmission, and the other day it started to act up. When it started to act up it sounded like gears catching as if there where some teeth missing and it sounds like its comming from the rear of my Xterra. I can also feel it in the shifter knob when it makes the sound. I know it's not the transmission itself because I am able to drive and it will go without any issues. Its just the noise is bugging the hell out of me. what do you guys think it is? Also im curious to know about rear axle swaps, how difficalt is it? how long does it usually take to do the swap? And what gearing ratio do you guys have? I am curious to know due to the fact that I have had toughts of doing it, but aint got a clue where to start and all.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
On your door jamb placard, there's an HG code.

It will say HG __ __

If its HG49, you have a 4.9 ratio, HG46, you have the 4.6 ratio, and so forth.

Its not hard to do, but the shaft might need to be swapped to make the new distance, etc.

Its only attached by the shaft and the leaf pack clamps, plus the normal brake lines and diff breather, etc, so its not complicated at all.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's saying CA48 know anything about that one?

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
It's saying CA48 know anything about that one?
You have the C200 instead of the H233B...4.8 ratio.

You'd need to change the front diff to a matching ratio if you upgraded to something else. (4.875 is what the rest of the ratio is IIRC)

There were 4.63 and 4.9 versions for the rear and front for example.

·
Registered
382 Posts
If it's the 2.4 it's 2wd so he only needs to swap out the rear.
I would grab the v6 4.9 rear axle should be a direct swap and it will be a bit more stout

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What difference would I see if I went with a 4.9 gear ratio instead of the 4.8 C200? How much do those run about in a junk yard?

·
Registered
382 Posts
nothing, the difference would be not noticeable.

if you went with the 4.6 you might, but with your lack of power the 4.6 would be harder for your truck to turn and not a wise idea in my opinion.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
OOps, missed that it was RWD/No front drivetrain.

Yeah, just get the 4.9 H233B rear axle and call it a day. Ratio-wise, you won't be able to tell the difference.

The 4.6, as mentioned, would give lower rpm at any given speed, and therefore less torque from you 4-banger...making uphills a little harder, but lowering your rpm at cruising speed, etc.etc.

4.875 vs 4.9 is not noticeable....as for an OEM direct swap, your best match.

>:D

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I have another question that popped up in my head. What other Nissan Vehicles have similar gear ratios as the Xterra? I want to get the rear end axle fixed asap.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
***Update***
So I got the 4.9 ratio rear axle and I hav came across another delema for say. the bolt pattern for the drive shaft and rear axle dont match (4 banger drive shaft is a 4 bolt pattern, the 4.9 rear axle is a 6 bolt pattern) and the drive shaft is about an inch to an inch and a half too long. is there something I can do to make it fit so I am not having to spend out the @ss again on a part? really like to get some ideas running. My father (which has been working as a mechanic for over 20 years now) has an idea about swaping the housing area on the rear axle where the rear axle and the drive shaft meet to see if it will fit.is there any other ideas out there? Id love to hear them.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Probably could build that bracket and the drive shaft you can either take to a shop or do what i do and ask someone who has fab skills. My buddy cuts them all the time and welds them up hes a lift installed though. Or have the other shaft cut and and the other welded together. If you know someone who can for cheap do it it may be expensive in a shop but my friend did for me on my old dodge for 100 bucks so just an idea if all else fails.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You have the C200 instead of the H233B...4.8 ratio.

You'd need to change the front diff to a matching ratio if you upgraded to something else. (4.875 is what the rest of the ratio is IIRC)where you able to figure out how to? Im dealing with same problem

There were 4.63 and 4.9 versions for the rear and front for example.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts