Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everybody!

So I have a 2008 non off-road edition (no diff-lock), My rear differential is making a lot of noise and I've been told by many friends (and mechanics) that I need to get the whole thing replaced and there's no point in repairing it, as it will just keep on breaking down.

My question is, can I replace it with anyone from the newer models? are they all compatible on each other or there's complications?

...I found a used one from a 2012 model (off-road edition) that is with the diff-lock, will that fit in? I know someone who installed a differential with diff-lock on his non diff-lock land cruiser, off course the diff-lock wiring were unattached and remained obsolete, but other than that, everything worked well. Will this work for me?

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to these technical stuff so please bear with me, any help is very much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
621 Posts
You would have a c200 rear. Now the pro 4x with a locker uses a m226. m226 was used in all manual and pro 4x xterras. They are the same platform. I could see a m226 being a direct swap minus drive line. It could be too long or short. c200 is a good axle. Its not a m226 but its good for what it is. If i was you i would get measurements of the driveline and see how it bolts up. Go to a junk yard if you can find one and get measurements. perhaps a pick an pull. Say the driveline is the same length and bolts up the same just get the axle and swap. But if you get one with a locker you got to do wiring to as they are electronic diffs. The differential is in the pumpkin (the ball in the middle of the axle) thats the diff. Thats what would be wrong with yours and assuming its rebuilt the proper way than you should have no problems. Of all the hassle involved i would keep the c200 and fix it. Because you would have to get the gear ratio to match the front aswell. And being a different axle it might not have the same gear ratio as your front. Example being you gotta 4.60 ratio in the c200 and the m226 was not made with that ratio than you would have to swap the front diff to match the back assuming yours is 4x4. And that all applys to rather the m226 has the same ratio options as the c200 cause im too tired to pull all these ratios up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So i guess there's a lot of complications there.... I think I'll just have to look for a one that matches mine exactly, that is the c200 apparently. How can i make sure that mine in fact is the c200? and yes it's an 4x4. I didn't even know that the xterra's also come without 4x4 ..

·
Registered
621 Posts
Your axle code on on the drive door plaque . Should say like rear axle or something on it and give a code it might tell you your ratio too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts