Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my Xterra hates me. During our last bit of tornadic activity in DFW, I learned four things.

One. My windshield leaks, pretty much like it was made of sandwich bags.

Two. Emergency brake decided storm time would be a great time to quit its duties, sending my Xterra and its sodden floorboards out into the street.

Three. My drivers side door handle and lock decided storm time would be a great time to quit their duties, leaving my Xterra and its sodden floorboards out in the street while I swore at it threateningly.

Four. My hatch lock decided storm time would be a great time to quit its duties, (seemingly permanently) keeping me from getting my sodden, well secured Xterra out of the street.

I would set it on fire except its so wet inside, the sumbitch wouldn't burn.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, first, you have a manual, leave it in 1st or R. I used to live in a hilly area and would never leave a vehicle to rely on the P brake only. Still, unless the brake broke, the truck could have been moved by the water. As little as 6 inches of fast moving water can do it.

Windshield, well those seals can go bad. If you shop around, you can probably find a place to reseal for fairly cheap since it doesn't need new glass.

Door won't open? It does suck if you only have 1 key lock on a vehicle. No fob?

Seems to me that neglect is more to blame here than anything else. Hard to believe so much failed at 1 time otherwise.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neglect has everything to do with it. And yep, I left it in neutral, which I never do. My driveway is pretty level, but we got hit pretty hard in the storm, 6.5 inches of rain over night and a tornado touched town 15 miles away. The windshield lip was rusty, and the water got in under the seal. Windshield broke coming out, (which the glass company warned me might happen) so yay me. No fobs, but I ordered two on Amazon and programmed them. Best $10 I ever spent. Hatch lock just failed. Key wont even go in any longer. I need to pull it out and see if I can fix it. The replacements I saw online were $58.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had a rusty lip once too. Car drove on salt covered roads all winter in MN, rust is pretty common. Ocean air does it too. Things like that you just can't do much about sometimes. At least you got some fobs. Amazing how a tv remote can take years of abuse and never fail, but car fobs are pretty wimpy.

On the rear lock, I had a ignition lock(different, I know) and the slot cover didn't like to move. It's the little cover that tries to keep out water and dirt, since I likely didn't use the right terminology. Turns out the metal on the top of the ignition got pushed down just a bit and was binding things up. Got a small pick in there and pulled it up and now it is fine. Just a thought for something to look at.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts