Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just got in my Rancho Steering Stabilizer kit with IAB cause I was noticing the following:

- Steering feels loose at slow speeds
- Hitting bumps slightly turns steering wheel in that direction

Now I'm reading that steering stabilizers mask most steering problems? I'm
curious if I should return the stabilizer and keep the IAB. Or not cause of the bigger tires I'm running. I read the problem could be my drag links. not sure

Helpful info: I have a PML with rear shackles (raised bout 1 to 1.5 from stock height), bilstein 4600 series shocks, 32 General Grabber At2 tires.

Notice this after my recent alignment . I align it to PML settings mention on here:

0 degree camber or close
Caster 0.3 to 0.6 degree with the left side being less than the right
Total toe at 0.16"

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
My rancho stabilizer and IAB work perfect. I also ditched my sway bars.

The best testimony I can give is my window fogged up in the rain, didn't see the center median island, hit the 4 or 5 inch concrete curb at 30 miles an hour with the left side wheels. My X didn't jerk or flinch one bit, my alignment didn't get thrown out.
If I had hit that curb with my front sway bar still on and without the IAB and rancho stabilizer, I can only imagine how it would have tossed me.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never thought bought removing my front sway bar with the Rancho stabilizer/IAB setup...how does your X handle on normal driving on corners (on the highway)?

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Never thought bought removing my front sway bar with the Rancho stabilizer/IAB setup...how does your X handle on normal driving on corners (on the highway)?
The same but the ride is 100 times smoother. Bumps don't transmit across the opposite side.
I do have much better shocks, rancho 9000s. If I set them adjuster to max it tightens the ride up a little more.
Just adding the extra rear leaf spring give more anti-sway than the rear sway bar ever did.

Pull them off, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good but I want to make sure there isn't any steering problems (worn parts) on my X first.
unless the following are common issues with the first gen X.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Sounds good but I want to make sure there isn't any steering problems (worn parts) on my X first.
unless the following are common issues with the first gen X.

Jack the front up and put it on jack stands, pry and push on every component, you find any slop, that part that moves is your problem

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ill give it a try while I install my stabilizer tomorrow, Thanks TBass

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Ill give it a try while I install my stabilizer tomorrow, Thanks TBass
I would still yank the sway bars, it really does make it ride smooth. An Xterra is not sports car, it gets no benefit as far as handling with them on it. Live and learn I say....:nerd:

·
Registered
444 Posts
The only time the front sway bar is going to benefit you is during emergency maneuvers...that is why they were put on, to counter act the increased center of gravity during evasive maneuvers

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

·
Registered
257 Posts
The only time the front sway bar is going to benefit you is during emergency maneuvers...that is why they were put on, to counter act the increased center of gravity during evasive maneuvers

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S
and for towing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts