Nissan XTerra Forum banner

581 - 591 of 591 Posts

·
Brooklyn br0
3,050 Posts
I feel for ya bro. Been through it a few times myself.

I found that it’s best to change everything rather than one thing at a time as they wear out. If one part of our IFS is just the slightest bit worn it takes out the other parts as it goes. What a pain.

On the side; almost every LBJ change I’ve personally witnessed has resulted in a LCA failure including one of mine. I think that’s the reason Nissan does not recommend it in the FSM.

So ya might want to change out the LCA if you can find a new or less worn one while you have it all apart.

Do not use an “aftermarket” LCA, only the Genuine Nissan part will do. Aftermarket Chinese steel does not hold up...seen that on a buddies truck. Couldn't survive the trip from NJ to Brooklyn.

·
Administrator
8,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #584
I feel for ya bro. Been through it a few times myself.

I found that it’s best to change everything rather than one thing at a time as they wear out. If one part of our IFS is just the slightest bit worn it takes out the other parts as it goes. What a pain.

On the side; almost every LBJ change I’ve personally witnessed has resulted in a LCA failure including one of mine. I think that’s the reason Nissan does not recommend it in the FSM.

So ya might want to change out the LCA if you can find a new or less worn one while you have it all apart.

Do not use an “aftermarket” LCA, only the Genuine Nissan part will do. Aftermarket Chinese steel does not hold up...seen that on a buddies truck. Couldn't survive the trip from NJ to Brooklyn.
Well life got in the way cash got tight, very tight, and I’ve been driving it with a problem for a long time. The little shimmy I felt transmitted into everything else and did a number on all of it. But I love this truck so I gladly buy the parts and start over.

On the LBJ’s and LCA’s I was aware of that. I’ve replaced my LBJ once before didn’t want to but did it anyway and gonna have to do it again. Still financially recovering from a long spell of unemployment so when I pull the LBJ’s in the morning I’ll take a long hard look at the control arms but unless I see a crack gonna have to use them again for a little while at least. No wheeling until at least this fall so hopefully I’ll be ok.

All torn down and new assemblies built going to the race shop in the AM and press in wheel bearing races and Bandit bushings then hopefully fab up and weld up some pieces to make the pitman and idler connect to the centerlink in double shear rather than single.

·
Brooklyn br0
3,050 Posts
Sounds good. It seems to slow the rust/wear of the LCA if you put a bead of silicone, rtv or some kind of water proof in the gap on top of the LCA, between it, the LBJ and the LBJ nut.

·
Administrator
8,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #588
So new inner/outer tie rod ends, lower/upper ball joints, pitman arm, idler arm w/Bandit 4x4 bushings, AC upper control arm bushings, wheel bearings and seals, and two new KM2’s on the rear and it’s no longer a death trap to drive. Two more new KM2’s in the garage after I get an alignment in a week.

New Performance Friction pads also in a week as well as windshield wiper linkage, quit today, and after a mere 10 years my Optima redtop gave up the ghost this morning, new one already installed.

This has been a busy costly week :p But I gladly replace worn out components they have to wear out at some point. ;)

581 - 591 of 591 Posts