Nissan XTerra Forum banner
561 - 580 of 606 Posts

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
10,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #561 ·
Why 17? The FSM calls for 10 plus or minus 2.
I was running around 22-23 before I checked it not long ago too, runs much better now.
FSM for the 2000 calls for 15 plus or minus 2 also this setting was related to me as a good one by Cyclmut a long time Nissan master tech. Also keep in mind I have cams, porting, and headers so my engine responds differently to timing and fuel changes than other peoples engines do.

·
Administrator
10,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #567 ·
Do you keep the plastic up with some kind of conditioner?
I assume were talking about the exterior plastic? If so it is all painted flat black so not much to keep up with. ;)

And how much extra HP do you think you got from all the headers or porting, etc..
All together my butt dyno guess would be 30ish HP. The stock EX. manifolds and the head porting and they way they flow are pitiful stock.

And what kind of lift is on it

3" articulator SL and 2" BL all from Automotive Customizers.

·
Administrator
10,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #569 ·
Thats pretty good if accurate.

Wjat kind of porting or manifolds and exhaust flow system would you recommend?
I am unfortunately not that knowledgeable about the 2nd Gen powerplant and nearly in the dark when it comes to what performance mods work and don't work with that platform.

As for porting it really depends on what kind of gains you are looking for and how much cash you are looking to invest. You can just do a blend and port match for fairly reasonable price and see some improvement. To wring out everything that cylinder head and intake have to offer you are gonna shell out some dollars. You would need to find someone with a proven formula that works for that engine and a track record of making power or have it put on a flow bench and have them come up with a porting spec for that head. Mine was done here where I work on a flow bench and ported by one of my co-workers who did a stint as an engine builder at Electramotive in the mid to late 80's when they were building the NIssan GTP cars using the VG30 engine so he had a very good idea of how much and where to remove material.

If I were going to the trouble to remove the cylinder heads for porting I would definitely install cams at the same time so figure that into your calculations for a budget.

Also look for a quality engine management tuner to re-map with. We have no option on the 1st Gens and it is hurting mine a bit but there are good options for the 2nd Gen trucks.

For exhaust headers and a cat back system work fine. I have AC headers but the Thorley's are just as good, or maybe even better, and generally cheaper. For a catback system I'm running a NISMO system but there are plenty of quality choices for the 2nd Gen I'm sure.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Dude, I came across your build, and my wife is now annoyed with everything I am talking about doing...I will start with a PML for now since it is a family rig too, but I am loving what you've done...I am curious though, have you ever thought of fabbing up a long travel coilover suspension for the front...I saw some hoops pre-made on offroadwarehouse.com, I'm sure you've seen them too, but any thoughts or know anyone who did it?

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
PML, EFan, stock intake mod, shocks, a bunch of maintenance, and a tune up

·
Administrator
10,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #576 ·
Dude, I came across your build, and my wife is now annoyed with everything I am talking about doing...I will start with a PML for now since it is a family rig too, but I am loving what you've done...I am curious though, have you ever thought of fabbing up a long travel coilover suspension for the front...I saw some hoops pre-made on offroadwarehouse.com, I'm sure you've seen them too, but any thoughts or know anyone who did it?

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
PML, EFan, stock intake mod, shocks, a bunch of maintenance, and a tune up
Sorry been busy and did not see your post. I don't know of anyone who fabbed one up but I'm aware of the Total Chaos long travel front kit that is available. It's pricey and if any thing else is done to the front on mine it will be an SAS.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Kind of makes me wish I had the 2nd gen so I could do the titan swap...but I digress

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Does not take much to get 10" of travel on the front end of a 1st gen. 2nd Gen spends so much more to achieve the same result. SAS is the way to go on either gen if you want past 10" of travel.

·
Administrator
10,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #580 ·
Kind of makes me wish I had the 2nd gen so I could do the titan swap...but I digress

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S
2nd Gens don't flex as well as the 1st Gen trucks. ;)

561 - 580 of 606 Posts