Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone,

My '03 Xterra needs a driver's side lower ball joint replacement. I got the pickle fork and press from the local parts store and dug into it last night. I'm having a hard time releasing the existing ball joints. I've taken the castle nuts off of both ball joints but I can't get to the actual ball joints yet because I've been unable to crack the back of the hub assembly from them. I've gone at them with the pickle fork with no luck. Can anyone tell me for sure if the upper ball joint needs released to replace the lower? It looks like it's necessary in order to remove the hub assembly for clearance. I really don't want to go at the upper ball joint too hard for fear that I will have to replace it too when I only intended to replace the lower. Is there a better way to remove the hub assembly that I'm not aware of? Or is there a decent video or how-to thread on this? I have been unable to find one. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!:)

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
there is a ball joint separator that works pretty well. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-3916D-Universal-Joint-Separator/dp/B003YVWHOE/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1446592778&sr=1-2[/ame] see if your auto place has one to rent

1 - 2 of 2 Posts