Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a 2002 Nissan Xterra 4x4. I dont really know when to use 4 wheel drive. My only guess would be when it is snowing or ice out on the roads, but i have seen many articles and videos saying not to drive on snow or ice with 4WD. Another concern is 4H and 4L. Which one is most helpful? Also when shifting to 2WD to 4WD do you do it while you are at a complete stop? Or do you do it when moving slowly? And when you shift from 4WD back to 2WD is it the same process? Because i have shifted from 4WD to 2WD and the green light that indicated 4WD stays on for about another minute before shutting off. Is my transfer case not shifting correctly?
If these questions could be answered i would appreciate it. Thanks

· Registered
164 Posts
4L is mainly for crawling over stuff or pulling stuck vehicles under 20mph. 4H is for going off road through mud or sand. You have auto locking hubs meaning the front wheels have to go forward about 2 feet before they lock in and about 2 feet backwards to unlock.

· Registered
164 Posts
For instance if it is raining heavily I will engage 4wd, go forward about 2 feet then back to 2wd. So if I start to slip or have to go through deep water I can engage 4wd and it is still locked. I usually will not engage 4wd unless I am driving less than 35 mph. I don't know the exact factory recommendation for this just what I've done on all 4x4s.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.