Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the AC 3" SL w/ revolvers and aal. My ass end sits way high in the air, I have a 3" rake, which makes it impossible to drive in the winter, it skates all over the road. So I am thinking of removing the AAL, if I do that, will I still have some lift in the rear and should I then put my overload spring back in?
I am in the process of putting new rims and tires on, and thought I would like the stance to be a bit more level rather than so far up in the air. But I want it to handle properly both on and off road.
Thanks for any advice you can give. I also have a 2" BL on it, and my torsion bars are cranked as far as they can go.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the lift UCA's that came with the kit. and I have 1/2" bump stop gap.

·
Registered
444 Posts
You only really want 1.5" of rake, is it a 3 pack or just 1?

Edit: Just read your build thread...and honestly I wish you lived near me, I would fix it for you in a heatbeat, I think the guys who did it are just in love with that look...IMHO

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've taken it to 3 or 4 different off road shops and none of them know how to correct it. Everyone tells me it would look better with the ass lowered, but no one seems to be able to tell me how to do it, or why mine is so much higher than everyone elses? I really don't mind the way it looks, but when winter comes, I would like to be able to drive it in the snow. As it sits now, it's helpless. Plus it's probably harder on my front brakes.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I think your torsion bars need re-indexed and maybe take a leaf out or something...that is eat I would do, don't take all 3, maybe 1 or 2 and add your overload...idk, but I would honestly like to see a pic of your bumpstop with something exactly 1/2" in between

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The 4x4 parts 3 leaf AAL has been hit or miss for a few people. If you usually drive with nothing in the back to add some weight on the leaf springs; you will need to get rid off the bottom leaf of the 3 leaf AAL. It is the shortest and stiffest one of all of them. How far that one lowers you depends on how that set of leaf springs were made. Putting the overload spring will do nothing for leaf pack height. Taking out the whole AAL pack will drop you too far down.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yeah try removing a leaf or two. I don't think this has anything to do with your torsion bars...?
I've read that the revolvers add a little lift as well so if that's true you only have a 3" lift up front and the 3" lift springs(which lifted mine a little more than 3") plus the added lift from the revolvers.
One other option would be putting the stock shackles back in to see where you're at. It should lower your back end a bit but maybe not enough.

PS: nice puppy. ;)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, that helps, I was not sure which leaf to remove, and or if I should add the Overload spring back in or not. Yes apparently my springs are not sagging at all, haha! I just didn't want to make it too squirly to handle in the rear with it being to sloppy. If that makes sense.

They did re index my torsion bars again to make sure they were as far as they could go, and I definately have 1/2 bump stop gap, I had 3/4 until they adjusted them this last time. I was there to see it.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Ok, that helps, I was not sure which leaf to remove, and or if I should add the Overload spring back in or not. Yes apparently my springs are not sagging at all, haha! I just didn't want to make it too squirly to handle in the rear with it being to sloppy. If that makes sense.

They did re index my torsion bars again to make sure they were as far as they could go, and I definately have 1/2 bump stop gap, I had 3/4 until they adjusted them this last time. I was there to see it.

How does it look now? How far off is it? You should post a pic

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, I am still trying to fit tires and wheels on, it so it is still at the shop. The wheels they ordered for me have 3.45 backspacing, which I think is why they didn't think even with trimming they wont fit.....so today I stopped in and told them to order me wheels with 4.75" backspacing. They said since I am ok with trimming they want to just trim it and see if the the 3.45 wheels will fit....but would I be better off to get the 4.75, wouldn't that be less wear on my front suspension parts?

I just don't trust the shops around me, everytime I take it anywhere, it's a major project for them. It seems most of you are running a 4.75 backspacing, so that's where I think I need to be. Then if I take out one leaf, and drop my ass a little, I think I'll be good to go :)

Please, if anyone has any input it would be appreciated, so I can make the right decision and get my truck out of the shop.

·
Registered
444 Posts
3.45 is quite a bit of backspacing, I would go with the 4.75 personally, just so the trim wasn't extreme

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i agree, that's what I thought, they didn't know what the backspacing was when they ordered them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts