Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find out what the projection patterns look like for different projection kits with HID lighting for low beams. if anyone can help me by taking a couple pictures of their pattern against a wall or garage or whatever that would be great, I'm looking for something I can put in my 07... I thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh you mean the section I not only posted in but the one I spent over a half hour reading before I gave up and posted, I'm not some 17y/o tard who said screw it and posted, iv been looking for days for patterns and cant find them. But thanks for being completely nonconstructive, seasoned, right...:usuck:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Well man not a lot of people have done projector's yet on the X's I know a few who have but they are mostly second gen's and I have can only remember one who even posted on here. Sorry bud, I am planning to do the conversion soon but I am going to use a kit for mine.... I am thinking the Acura MDX projectors.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Firstly, relax. I don't care how old you. You saw my suggestion of the Search function as "non-constructive," yet in the span of 5 minutes I found 3 threads all discussing everything from bulb/projector combos, to aftermarket projectors, to information about the legality of either.

Like I said search first, inform yourself, then ask questions. Perhaps if you had a specific projector in mind, someone could offer more specific and constructive criticism. In the mean time, you might be well served to check out the threads below and maybe the build threads of some of these members.

Here is a link to a Google search for Projectors for Xterras

Alright I'll clarify for a lot of people:
  • HIDs are illegal unless they are used with projector bulbs (due to the glare). Xterras come with reflector housing, which causes a large amount of glare. Projector bulbs eliminate the glare by bending the light and come stock on a lot of cars such as BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, etc. Many people who install HIDs on their cars purchase aftermarket projector headlamps. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find Xterra projector lamps, so if anyone has information to share it will be much appreciated.
  • Here's an example of projector bulbs, look how it the light doesn't spray everywhere and it has that straight line:
  • Normal HIDs only have a low beam, Bixenon have a high/low, but work by physically moving the bulb up or down when changing high to low or visa versa. As you can guess bixenons are much more expensive than normal HIDs. :(
threw some HIDs on my x the other day.

Using the supplied zip-ties, secure the wiring after running it along the front of the engine bay area, along the top of the radiator. Use the same ties to secure/bundle the wiring from the ballasts and fuse lines.

Reconnect your neg battery cable, and fire it up!!!

Daytime shots

Nighttime shots

Now go out and buy yourself some sweet HID's!!! Don't forget about promo code "THENEWX" when checking out, saves 15%, from www.v-leds.com

:wink-big:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I apologies, I was just get a little t-ed when someone accuses me of things when they have no idea... I have owned a number of projectors in my day,

Ones that go ___/¯¯¯¯¯ ____/¯¯¯¯¯

others that are flat ___________ ____________

Others that are ridiculous ___/ ___/

thats why I am looking for patterns for any projectors that fit the 2nd gen Xterra, mines an 07... just hoping to see what is out there and for what price... KUMA, the Acura ones, Iv seen them driving around and they are NICE, the blade damn near wraps around 180 degrees... but I couldn't imagine putting down ~350-400 bucks for them then tear them apart to install them into a $150 ebay kit... (i'm assuming the e-bay kits are garbage like all other e-bay kits, if i'm wrong please someone show me theirs for the 2nd gen x) But I'm not interested in throwing a pair of hid's in non projection housings... if anyone else knows a good Projector from another vehicle thats as quality as those for a better price I may go ahead and jump on that though because that my real dream but for what iv found its a pricey one...

BTW, iv seen posts about people drooling over the LED light-bars... I'm speaking with a couple companies that make light-bars and am having them custom make me one that sits in front of the roof rack for my X... I'm going for about 120-150W maybe more, depends on what they will be able to fit and how high I want it to sit, but at that amount I will be putting out well over 12,000 lumen's or roughly the same as ~6 HID's. They will be in sections from the center out progressively going from a 10 degree emission angle out to ~45 degrees to give both straight spot lighting and flood... If anyone else is interested I could add them in and have them drop shipped straight to you all at the same time... We haven't worked out a price but it looks to be less than what I would spend putting in Kumas, no offence KUMA {=O)... in the $3-500 range... And I am planning on tapping a hole into the sides of the front bars of that roof rack for the mounts with rubber bumpers across the base that it sits on so their isn't a bunch of bars allover the place, a clean install. But ya, if anyone has an image of the pattern of Projectors installed on an x that are under $3-400 I would love to see them...

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
I think there would be too much variation...in that the HID bulbs themselves are all different lengths, and the location they'd end up mounting in the various projectors, relative to the beam optic convergence paths, will be a crap shoot.

IE: The light being emitted will not be where it needs to in the housing to produce a consistent pattern, if the light being emitted's location will vary within the housing from projector to projector and bulb to bulb, etc.

Otherwise, you could just say whatever the projector's pattern is with the std halogen bulb is your bogey, and call it day.

:wink-big:

Realize, based upon the myriad pics that are posted of the illumination, that most are simply pointed at something in the distance, to see if it can be seen better...

....and no one has set up the lights, and then climbed up high somewhere over the beam pattern, to look down on it, and see what the pattern looks like.

:D

You can be a pioneer.

:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts