Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased a couple of EBay key fobs for my son's 2003 Xterra. The instructions they sent (and others found elsewhere) are pretty simple:

1. Close and lock all doors with the driver’s side power lock switch located on drivers door panel.
2. Insert key into ignition (DON’T TURN) and remove it from the ignition key cylinder at least 6 times within 10 seconds (this will need to be done at approximately one second intervals). You may need to insert and remove the key up to 10 or 12 times until your hazard lamps flash. PLEASE NOTE: Withdraw key completely from ignition cylinder each time. If this procedure is performed too fast or too slow the system will not enter programming mode.
3. Insert key into ignition and turn to the ACC position.
4. Within 5 seconds, push the LOCK button on the keyless remote. Your hazard lamps will flash. PLEASE NOTE: Do not press the button on the remote more than one time or the programming will not be successful.

I tried this when we first got the fobs in, and ONE time, the hazard lamps flashed. The programming didn't seem to work (I may have been too slow with the next step), so I retried the process. Hazard lamps didn't flash again. Tried unlocking and locking door, starting car, other things, and restarting process, but simply wouldn't flash. So I put it away. That was a month ago. Tried it again tonight, exact same results.

I realize the keys may be junk and not work, but the programming sequence should flash the hazards, from what I've read on half a dozen sources, regardless of they key fobs even being present. Anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong, or what I might try next?

Thanks,

Chuck

·
Registered
25 Posts
This takes a few tries, and lots of patience. I found it takes turning the key 7+ times to get the turn signals to flash! I didn't use 1 second intervals either, I went as fast as I could, not really counting, just waiting for the turn signal lights to flash. Once I got that mastered, it took at least 10 times for me to get it to recognize the fob. What fob board # did you get? I used KBRASTU15 for my 2004 Xterra.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i've tried this probably 20 times and nothing happens when i try to hit the lock button on the FOB. the instructions i received with the fob is slightly confusing as it make it seem like you need to do the 6 times plus 6 more. But either way i try it i get nothing. any tips?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
how many fobs are currently programmed? i think there can only be 3 programmed to the vehicle, try disconnecting the battery over night bring all the fobs out and try again in the morning, nissan dealers will usually assist with this free or for little charge

·
Registered
3 Posts
Zero fobs programmed. I bought 2 online. Haven’t double checked the actual board number but from what I’ve read they should work as long as they were meant for this year x which they are. The indicator lights do their little dance but when I hit the lock button on the fob I get nothing. People have been saying the dealership charges a lot but maybe it’s cheaper because I already have the fob? If anyone thinks there’s a step I’m missing lmk! Thanks again

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just did mine with FOBs from Ebay. I found I was not putting the key all the way in the "on" position, but rather, the position just before. The lights and stuff would come on, so I assumed I was in the "on" position. Once I tried it again and moved the key one position further forward it worked. It also only worked with a Nissan key and not a generic spare.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It finally worked! i've done this process to the point i almost gave up but got in the truck, decided to give it a shot before heading to work and did the 6 in and outs. it blinked. i turned the ignition to ACC and waited like 2 seconds before clicking the lock button on the the fob and to my surprise i got the blink blink. i never made it to that point so i grabbed wildly for the instructions so i could complete the steps and it all worked. 2 fobs programmed. so if you are running into the same problem my suggestion is to keep doing it over the course of different days and it'll eventually work.. now to figure out what this scary metal noise upon take off is!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts