Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm having a problem with my 03 X. When I turn my steering wheel ether left or right the power steering pulley stop spinning. When I realese it keeps spinning. Any suggestions about change the pulley, the whole power steering pump. Or any kinda of what to try first? TIA

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hello, I'm having a problem with my 03 X. When I turn my steering wheel ether left or right the power steering pulley stop spinning. When I realese it keeps spinning. Any suggestions about change the pulley, the whole power steering pump. Or any kinda of what to try first? TIA
How’s the belt tension? Also what’s the condition is the belt in? It may need to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks, yes it has a small leak in the high pressure hose. But the level is ok.
Then change out the hose, not expensive and you can easily do it yourself, you can find a pump online for about a hundred bucks, you tube has videos on how it's done

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do you have way too little tension on the belt? If not get ahead of the curve and change it for a new pump, go online find the best price and order one and a new belt while your at it, takes about a week to get here. Spend part of the week looking at You tube videos and making sure you have the tools you need. Oh yeah you'll need a new hose too and PS steering fluid. You can probably DIY for under $200.00

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have way too little tension on the belt? If not get ahead of the curve and change it for a new pump, go online find the best price and order one and a new belt while your at it, takes about a week to get here. Spend part of the week looking at You tube videos and making sure you have the tools you need. Oh yeah you'll need a new hose too and PS steering fluid. You can probably DIY for under $200.00
Thank you for the help. I'll order it and start working on it ASAP.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Thank you for the help. I'll order it and start working on it ASAP.
our trucks use dex/merc auto tranny fluid for power steering fluid, you can use generic power steering fluid but it wears much quicker, dex/merc atf is far better autozone has decent pumps with lifetime warranties, but you may be able to get a better deal on rock auto or amazon

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello, I'm having a problem with my 03 X. When I turn my steering wheel ether left or right the power steering pulley stop spinning. When I release it keeps spinning. Any suggestions about change the pulley, the whole power steering pump. Or any kinda of what to try first? TIA
Just re-read your post--- When you turn the wheel l/R the pulley stops? Is the drive belt still turning and slipping on that pulley or does the belt stop turning?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just re-read your post--- When you turn the wheel l/R the pulley stops? Is the drive belt still turning and slipping on that pulley or does the belt stop turning?
Both stop the pulley and the belt. It's not all the time. Sometimes it doesn't do it in the hole day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would just buy a new belt, removel the old belt make sure all the pullys spin freely and if they do reassemble. 20$ diy repair

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Both stop the pulley and the belt. It's not all the time. Sometimes it doesn't do it in the hole day.
thats a failing pump or pulley on the pump, i would change the pump, pulley and belt

·
Registered
45 Posts
Been thinking! The pump doesn't provide assist when in the straight ahead position only when turning. The pump will require more force to run it on a turn. The belt is driven off off the crank which will ALWAYS be turning as long as the engine is running. If the pump and the belt quit when on a turn it will mean that although the crank is turning the belt HAS TO BE SLIPPING. Before you do anything else tighten the belt adjustment I believe it's just lose.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts