Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I know there are a few threads out there about this, but I just wanted to confirm. Right now I have a slow leak coming from the hoses that go from the reservoir to the power steering pump. The leak is actually coming from the bottom of the hose, which is where I have the most difficult getting the hose clamps tight. I thought I remember a while back reading that it was not a good idea to replace the hoses, but I could be wrong.

Could I just get new hoses and new hose clamps and switch them out, then refill the reservoir with power steering fluid?

TIA for any help!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Could I just get new hoses and new hose clamps and switch them out, then refill the reservoir with power steering fluid?
Ya, do that. When i pulled that hose off to get the old clamp out of the way, i spilled all the ps fluid anyway... I wasn't fast enough and my hands are too big to get it back in place before it emptied onto the pavement.

I don't think there is a problem with replacing those hoses, they are cheap enough, and you'll probably empty the reservoir anyway so you might as well

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a power steering leak and looked around most people said just replace the clamps, and bleed the system (which is real easy to do) and it fixed my problem
if you want to be safe you could change out the hoses, i used a mitty vac to suck out most of the fluid before changing out the clamps

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I changed out the hoses with bulk fuel line from auto zone. Perfecto. no leak, fresh fluid. Easy and cheap.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
try putting new clamps on and tightening them up. If the hoses look like trash get some bulk hose in the same size from autozone.
go wolfpack!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just called an auto shop asking for the hoses for the power steering return and pressure hose. I was quoted $66 for the pressure hose only. Does that sound right? Do I need a special hose for the pressure hose or does regular bulk fuel line hose work?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I don't think i messed with the pressure hose, rock auto has it for 61, it's crimped instead of clamped and includes metal lines (#92313) so it looks pretty specific. If that's the one that is leaking, regular hose probably won't work.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
The pressure line is threaded on and does not use clamps only the return line has clamps and you can use bulk hose for return line.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it is my pressure line that is actually leaking. Guess I gotta get a new one. The parts store said they could not find one, tho. The aftermarket parts they use stated that particular part is out of stock and back ordered. Think I am going to pull the hose and take it in to have a hose rebuilt onto the fittings. Not sure. Anyone know of where I can get the pressure hose?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I ended up buying a new pressure line. I tried to get a new return line but that did not fit, actually. So I am using my old return line. I do not believe I had leaks from the return hose, I hope that remains the case.

I have two questions:
1.) in the gear box, which hole is for the return hose and which hole is for the pressure hose? I did not pay enough attention when I took the old lines off...

2.) On the new pressure hose, it is not a banjo fitting, it is a line with a bolt already on it, should I use the brass washer from the old banjo bolt when going onto the gear box?

Thanks for all your help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts