Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never seen this happen before lol.

I have a 2004 Nissan XTerra 3.3L 6 Cylinder (not supercharged) 4 wheel drive. Not any type of special edition.

About a week ago, picking up my daughter from work, we heard a woosh sound from the engine and the steering became tight. I knew it had to be the power steering. I checked it when I got home and it was below the minimum line by about 1/4 of an inch so someone bought me some and I filled it up. I looked for leaks and found a small tear in the upside U shaped power steering hose near the power steering container but I was told that it was an empty hose that only held air, a vacuum hose... it couldn't leak. It's the upside down U shaped hose with the red electric clip that clips into the line. Sorry, I don't know it's name and the Hanes manual doesn't name it. Someone in another post said its a pressure line, return line and sensor. Since I have found that tear, I fill the power steering container back to max only to drive it for instance just 5 minutes just down the road and find the power steering fluid back to just below the minimum line and oddly enough, not all over everything But only all around the sides of the power steering container.... not on top of the lid but just under the lid and around the sides. I theorized that it was boiling inside the container and coming up under the lid and the woosh sound we had heard was the gasket under the lid blowing the other day. I am on all kinds of meds that affect memory sadly and I forget to check the lid for a gasket. Just a little while ago, I drove the truck and got out and checked the power steering fluid and Finally saw it boiling right in front of me. It stayed full this time but it was boiling. What could cause this and is there a way to fix this?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

I have a 2004 Nissan XTerra 3.3L 6 Cylinder (not supercharged) 4 wheel drive. Not any type of special edition.

About a week ago, picking up my daughter from work, we heard a woosh sound from the engine and the steering became tight. I knew it had to be the power steering. I checked it when I got home and it was below the minimum line by about 1/4 of an inch so someone bought me some and I filled it up. I looked for leaks and found a small tear in the upside U shaped power steering hose near the power steering container but I was told that it was an empty hose that only held air, a vacuum hose... it couldn't leak. It's the upside down U shaped hose with the red electric clip that clips into the line. Sorry, I don't know it's name and the Hanes manual doesn't name it. Someone in another post said its a pressure line, return line and sensor. Since I have found that tear, I fill the power steering container back to max only to drive it for instance just 5 minutes just down the road and find the power steering fluid back to just below the minimum line and oddly enough, not all over everything But only all around the sides of the power steering container.... not on top of the lid but just under the lid and around the sides. I theorized that it was boiling inside the container and coming up under the lid and the woosh sound we had heard was the gasket under the lid blowing the other day. I am on all kinds of meds that affect memory sadly and I forget to check the lid for a gasket. Just a little while ago, I drove the truck and got out and checked the power steering fluid and Finally saw it boiling right in front of me. It stayed full this time but it was boiling. What could cause this and is there a way to fix this?
Just to mention this real quick, it did not start out that low when I went to pick my daughter up. It was full.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts

I am trying to imagine "boiling". Is it actually boiling hot or does it appear to be boiling because you are seeing air bubbles rolling up through the fluid?

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,360 Posts
I'm guessing that the "boiling" is actually air entering the system.

Here are the 2 PS hoses (pressure and return), but not the short one from the reservoir to the pump. I replaced all 3 on my 2001 and will eventually replace them on my 2004.

That upside-down U is the pressure hose, and there's a pressure sensor mounted to it. You can see the port that it screws into in the center of the image, just to the left of the banjo fitting.

If you can't tell, I bought mine from RA.

On the left of this image is the red plastic of the PS sensor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm guessing that the "boiling" is actually air entering the system.
Bingo. There’s an air leak somewhere - either at the pump or on the low pressure side. The system is not able to purge this air quickly enough, which leads to bubbling, blown reservoir caps, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found the leak. It's a gash right above the sensor. Kind of noticeable. How I didn't see it before I don't know. It's sort of skimmed right along the top of the hose. Like someone was cutting the top layer of skin off of their thumb but not cutting deep enough to bleed for instance. It doesn't look deep enough to have ruptured a big hole, just a tiny one, with a layer of rubber hanging over the hole. Ugh. lol. Thanks folks, very much. Man, those hoses are expensive lol. I don't have the money to buy new hoses like that right now sadly. I was put on short term disability months ago so my job is only paying me $92 a week and honestly I may lose my job soon because I've been told by my doctor that my issue is permanent and my short term disability end on Oct 1st. I am permanently disabled. Great eh. Sarcasm there. Anyhow. Right now I have like no money. We are barely making it on my wife's pay. Is there a way I can patch this just short term, like for a week or so? I won't be driving much but I am supposed to have surgery on Monday and have to have a designated driver home and it's my wife and our vehicle that has to pick me up as the designated driver from the surgery. The only other person I know near here is night blind and the surgery is in the early morning and she can't see. She tried last time and got lost picking me up.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I found the leak. It's a gash right above the sensor. Kind of noticeable. How I didn't see it before I don't know. It's sort of skimmed right along the top of the hose. Like someone was cutting the top layer of skin off of their thumb but not cutting deep enough to bleed for instance. It doesn't look deep enough to have ruptured a big hole, just a tiny one, with a layer of rubber hanging over the hole. Ugh. lol. Thanks folks, very much. Man, those hoses are expensive lol. I don't have the money to buy new hoses like that right now sadly. I was put on short term disability months ago so my job is only paying me $92 a week and honestly I may lose my job soon because I've been told by my doctor that my issue is permanent and my short term disability end on Oct 1st. I am permanently disabled. Great eh. Sarcasm there. Anyhow. Right now I have like no money. We are barely making it on my wife's pay. Is there a way I can patch this just short term, like for a week or so? I won't be driving much but I am supposed to have surgery on Monday and have to have a designated driver home and it's my wife and our vehicle that has to pick me up as the designated driver from the surgery. The only other person I know near here is night blind and the surgery is in the early morning and she can't see. She tried last time and got lost picking me up.
Sorry to hear of all your complications there. I would try a good tight wrap with some good quality 3M or such electrical tape. Wrap multiple layers back and forth over that rubber hose flap and it just may get you by in the short term.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,360 Posts
Then maybe add a clamp over it just to help retain the pressure, not to crush the hose...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts