Nissan XTerra Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
The water could be a part of the issue. The only way to find out is to get at the ECM and check it over for signs of water damage. DO NOT disconnect or reconnect the ECM with the battery connected.

Water down in that area could be caused by a number of things. The ones that come to mind are.

1) The drain for the ac is clogged so the water is emptying inside the vehicle.
2) A leak in the heater core (though it would smell like coolant)
3) a missing or broken plug in the floor or firewall (usually about 1" around and plastic)
4) A leak in the windshield. The adhesive/sealant gets old and brittle as well as corrosion can cause the paint and sealant to lift and allow water through (I have this problem in my Frontier, but just haven't had time to fix it).
5) a leak in the rubber boot between the floor and the shifter. I'm not sure how the automatic is put together as I've never had mine off, but the manual in the frontier has a rubber mat with a boot on it to keep out the elements, and then the more ornamental rubber boot that you actually see inside the vehicle. Over time the rubber can get brittle and allow water from the road to splash up and get inside the vehicle.

Satito, you are a saint. To remove a potential point of failure I removed the quick connects and replaced them with basic tinned copper terminals. Inside of the insulation on the negative cable itself there is quite a bit of green powdery corrosion that appears to run its entirety. While it doesn’t appear to be preventing a decent connection at either the terminal or the body I have some extra battery cable/lugs lying around so I may just make a new negative.
I haven’t watched that video yet, however I was just out at the car pulling the center console plastics off to get ready to dig into it and when I went to pull the carpet out of my way from up under both the driver and passenger side foot wells (whatever that area is actually called) both sides had a surprisingly decent amount of moisture on both the carpet and the padding underneath it. I’m guessing that wherever the hell that water came from it is likely the cause of my problem?
That cable is the poster child for needing to be replaced!

Discussion starter · #23 ·
That cable is the poster child for needing to be replaced!
Yeah, that was my thought, but I was feeling hesitant to cut into the wiring harness to figure out where it ends/is supposed to connect to anything underneath the fuse box.
I did pull the ECM last night, and it is fine. I don’t understand this car, every single component individually tests fine until I put them all together and then, BAM no anything.
Also the damp carpet appears to be completely unrelated, while it was damp up higher than I would like (thanks osmosis) the Ecm itself and all associated wires were dry.

Yeah, Follow that green copper to where it terminates. It's quite possible that the end is corroded and needs some scuffing to clean it up. Likewise, it never hurts to undo the main ground line from where it attaches to the chassis and make sure that there isn't corrosion and dirt in between the contact points. That includes the bolt the holds it down.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.