Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finding that occasionally, 1/3 to 1/2 the time, when I start my xterra I will hear a buzzing/grinding from the front. The sound increases and decreases with vehicle speed and will go away if I shift the transfer case into 4HI and will stay gone for the duration of my trip even when shifted back into 2HI.

Any thoughts?

·
I'm kinda wacko
5,315 Posts
If you have a 1st gen, then it sounds like you have a bad auto from hub. My hardbody used to do that as well, so I put manual hubs on it.

Many people love the auto hubs. It's a personal preference thing.

Sometimes you can clean and re-grease them and that will fix it as well

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it a simple process to R&R them? I've gone back and forth on deciding to put manual lock hubs on.

Also if i put manual on i would buy warn hubs and replace the bolts from their kit as that seems to be the general consensus for their product, durable except the mounting hardware. Does that seem about right?

·
I'm kinda wacko
5,315 Posts
It's very easy to R&R them. There are many write ups on here.

Depending on what year you have, you can actually get used manual OEM ones from a hardbody pickup and they will bolt right on. I feel they are the best hubs around. I love mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To make things more complicated, I'm also thinking of putting a Lokka in, and I've read on here you should switch to manual hubs with the Lokka. So hardbody might be a good idea if they fit.

My rig is a 2004xe with 4.9 gears, v6 automatic.

I'm thinking of using the lokk and drop guide despite living in an area where we get light to moderate snow in the winter. If i hit the lottery I'll get the arb but seriously 1100+ including shipping if i do the work?

·
Registered
140 Posts
My 2002 X is doing the same thing right now. Sound goes away if i switch to 4wd and back to 2wd. Figured I would take it apart and re-grease and clean since apparently that can easily fix the problem. If I need new hubs Im not really wanting manual ones since they have their pros and cons. Can you buy stock replacement Auto Hubs ? Price? I know a new set of Warn Manuals were $270 CAD on Amazon and yea I read the same thing about the mounting bolts. Cheap and broke when tightened.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts