Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Poor gas mileage and power.

730 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Satito 
#1 ·
--- My Xterra has a majority of things wrong with it. I've done so many things to find out what could possibly be causing anything.
To start, its power is horrible, it can barely get itself moving without putting in a great deal of work. I am used to fast cars, with lots of power, unlike this SUV. It has a 0-60 of 37.4 seconds, which is way below average for any car, even classics that I own.
--- Second, the gas mileage is as bad as it gets, I can watch my tank go from full to half-way during a 45-minute commute. The tank meter lowers as it idles mercilessly.
--- Last of all, there is a mysterious banging when I let off the gas. It's a repeated jerking until I either press the clutch or the gas again. This jerking is avoidable if I slowly let off the gas, but even then it's hard to avoid sometimes. I've had mechanics say it's a bad U-bearing, but it has no noise, just sudden spasm attacks. The clutch is in flawless shape still, no slipping, and still has some ease to it. What do you guys think?

#2 ·
Hi, Sorry to hear that you're having such a tough time with your X. Please give us a little more info on your X so that we can give you a little better advice.
1) year
2) trim (2wd vs 4wd)
3) engine
4 transmission

It sounds like you have a manual tranny, but please just clarify for us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.