Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the xterra scene, and I've heard talk about the Poor Mans Lift.

I want to be able to go mudding with my ******* friends, and think a lift is in my best interest. I don't have money out the wazoo, so an economical option would be the best thing for me.

What would I need, how is it done, is it a good idea?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Lift shackles for the rear are the only new parts required but I would recommend an idler arm brace as well if you are going to wheel it. Both are simple jobs with no special tools.

·
Registered
269 Posts
if you're going to be in mud, traction is #1 most important. tires and a locker, or a rebuilt lsd at the least. and good solid recovery points. because you will stuck, and probably stuck hard if you're out with lifted 3/4t pickups.

I used to wheel with a guy who had 40" swampers on fully locked 1ton axles, mild 350 and a granny low 4 speed. even he got stuck.

·
Registered
733 Posts
If you ever plan on upgrading bumpers or anything, I would do a body lift sooner rather than later. I went ahead with an ARB and now want to do a body lift, which means either fabricating new bumper mounts (I don't do metal work) or selling it and getting another brand made for a body lift. I also want to get sliders, but hate to until I decide what I'm going to do about the body lift.

·
Registered
816 Posts
BL and PML can be done for around $200,search forum.
Good 33" MT's will cost.
Always plan for recovery,everybody gets stuck.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
BL and PML can be done for around $200,search forum.
Good 33" MT's will cost.
Always plan for recovery,everybody gets stuck.

Yup.

If you are on a budget...you need a BL to fit 33's, but except for fitting the 33's, the BL won't do much for you. (A BL is to fit larger tires).

If you are OK going a bit mad max, you don't need a BL, just remove the front fenders where the tire's hit....it will do the same thing.

A PML is very easy...and the idler arm brace is a good idea. They have NOTHING to do with each other though. The IAB is actually more to protect the steering from the stresses off road, and from larger tires.

If you can...get sliders, as on your X, there's no where to lift you with a hi-lift jack...which is needed in mud, etc....as you will get high centered.

Front and rear recovery points and a 3" x 30' snatch strap would be a great investment.

If can ONLY afford one thing, the recovery points are actually job one in mud, as otherwise, there's no good way to get you unstuck.

:D

·
Registered
816 Posts
If can ONLY afford one thing, the recovery points are actually job one in mud, as otherwise, there's no good way to get you unstuck.

:D
Agree completely,I've spent a lot of time in the mud and good snatch points are a must.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts