Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, so I search a couple different threads on the PML, its simple enough. This is probably a dumb question but who cares.

I noticed on the rear shackle removal, nobody really goes into detail on the rear jack stand placement. So according to the write-up, u place (2) jack stands under the rear frame to hold the xterra up as to place your jack under the rear center differential (slightly lifting the differential to take tension off the rear shackle bolts for removal).

But I notice that the jack stands holding the frame up are placed in the center of the xterra right where the leaf spring bolts to the frame, with the jacks there the rear end of the xterra will fall.

Question is where are the safe points to place the jack stands to hold the frame up?

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
If you look under the rig, you'll see that the frame rails run the entire length, but change to C channel from fully boxed on the 2000 - 2004 X's, for the last few feet where they meet the rear bumper.

You simply place the stands as far to the rear of the boxed frame as you can...which will be in the vicinity of the rear doors.

So, use any jack to jack it up so the tires come off the ground, and then slide in the stands, and remove the jack.

THEN you use the floor or bottle jack, etc, to lift the diff/axle until the shackles can rattle (No tension on them).

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
i used 2 jacks and 2 stands, floor jack under the rear diff, stands on the frame under the rear doors and the factory jack to spread the leafs from the frame. Had to take the wheels off too cause the stands weren't tall enough.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.