Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know this has been answered before and asked before. I would like to do a PML and a 2" lift and slaping on some wider tires. I have read alot of posts and I searched the DIY trheads and I am starting to be more confused than where I started. I have a 2004 Xterra.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Ok I know this has been answered before and asked before. I would like to do a PML and a 2" lift and slaping on some wider tires. I have read alot of posts and I searched the DIY trheads and I am starting to be more confused than where I started. I have a 2004 Xterra.
sigh

OK, to clarify...the PML is a 1.5" Suspension Lift (SL)....you do it by adding longer rear shackles to lift the rear, and adjusting the torsion bars to lift the front end to match.

When you say "and a 2" Lift", I'm hoping you mean a 2" Body Lift (BL), as that is what makes ROOM for the larger tires you wanted to slap on.

A BL simply raises the truck's body higher off the frame. The truck has 10 body mounts that the body sits on, attached to the frame.

A BL simply inserts a spacer to make the body mount taller.

This raises the entire body, which, in turn, also means that your wheel wells are 2" higher as well.

The sweet part about the BL raising the wells, is that when you go over a bump, that extra 2" is still there.

With an SL, when you go over a bump, and the tire rises, it will hit what ever it would have hit WITHOUT the SL....as the extra room was only at ride height with an SL.

So, that would mean your plan was to do a PML, adding 1.5" of suspension ride height, and a 2" BL, adding 2" of extra tire room.

----------------------------

I didn't see an actual question, just the statement that you were confused, so, I hope that cleared things up a bit for you.

:wink-big:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks alot you just answered the confusion. where can I get the items and what to do the plm and the Body lift. I was looking on 4x4offroad or what ever its called but I dont know the name of the parts.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
thanks alot you just answered the confusion. where can I get the items and what to do the plm and the Boy lift. I was looking on 4x4offroad or what ever its called but I dont know the name of the parts.
LOL

Boy Lift?

Lets not go there.

:engel-big:

www.4x4parts.com

You want the shackles for the 3" SL (rear suspension lift component parts for the 00-04 x's) - that's all you buy for a PML per se.

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=435_436_398_520&products_id=145

If you have the $, and can afford new shocks too, at least for the REAR's..get the Bilstein 5100's meant for the 3" SL too (They fit STOCK, and work great even with NO LIFT.)

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4229

For the BL, get the 2" BL for the 00-04 X's

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=117_524&products_id=337

If you STILL have $, you can also get the lift liners, which are large thick plastic sheets that cover the gap that results when you raise the body...now that the stock liners won't reach anymore, etc.

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=117_116&products_id=392

To DO the PML and BL, ALL you NEED are the shackles and the BL itself...the new shocks just give you the wheel travel to really take advantage of the larger tires by helping to keep them on the ground, and, to improve the ride/handling....and the lift liners just replace the oem liners if desired. They also help to keep crud from being thrown into the gap, if that matters to you (Stays cleaner in there...)

After the PML, you will also need a new wheel alignment done, typically, after you get the new tires as far as timing goes...so its aligned with the tires you'll be driving it on, etc.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info, I will start buying all these things and when the weather breaks I will do it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what about the front shocks?

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
what about the front shocks?
The front shocks, as on an IFS set up the travel is up/down between the upper/lower bumpstops anyway...the stock shacks are long enough, but, valved too soft.

To maximize performance, you'd also upgrade to the Bilstein HD's that come with the 3" SL....they are not much longer, but are valved a lot better to give a lot better control.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
NO trimming is very limiting...as a little trimming makes an enormous difference in options.

The tire size options come from the 2" BL, the other parts just make the rig articulate, ride and handle better, and allow the tires to reach the ground, where they can do some good, more easily....so you get stuck less, etc.

That means that you can go to a 33" tall tire with a little trimming for an AT, and removal of the plastic ledge inside the front wells, the one the mud flpas used to attach to, for aggressive MT's (The MT's have lugs that stick out further, hitting on more stuff/needing a little more room, etc)

Width-wise, you can go as wide as 13.5", with most people stopping at 12.5" in section width.

If looking at a 15" rim, that's a 33x12.5/15 or 33x13.5/15 tire as max.

If looking at a 16" rim, that's a 33x12.5/16 or 33x13.5/16 tire as max.

If looking at a 17" rim, that's a 33x/12.5/17 or a 33x13.5/17 tire as max.

If converting to metric, its 25.4 millimeters (mm) per inch.

:D

For 12.5" section widths, there's an anomaly on the metrics, where the 305 and 315 mm section widths are essentially the same actual size.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well.... That's a lot of stuff. I just took mine in to the dearship and had them put on the bilstein set up the comes on the OR model. Now if I wanna do any lifting will I be able to keep that? Is the ride height the same on all models or does OR sit higher?

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Well.... That's a lot of stuff. I just took mine in to the dearship and had them put on the bilstein set up the comes on the OR model. Now if I wanna do any lifting will I be able to keep that? Is the ride height the same on all models or does OR sit higher?
sigh

No, you effed up.

The OR shocks are stock length, just valved for a better ride/handling.

The OR sits higher because its std tires are taller...everything else height-wise is the same.

IE: If you lift it, you'll need longer shocks.

Lesson 1 - Generally, Do Not get things from the stealerships if they are available anywhere else, as they will overcharge you, and, you will be getting stock stuff.

Lesson 2 - Read critically, and ask questions if you are unclear on an issue, rather than acting first, and then looking for an explanation as to if it was the right course of action afterwards.

So - is it possible to get your money back, return the shocks, and order the Bilsteins specified in the myriad threads on the topic here?

And - shocks are very easy to install, there's just no good reason to have the stealership, or anyone but yourself, do it...unless you are handicapped, and this is a rig with special controls so you can drive it, etc.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I just talked to my mechanic. he said that He will do a lift and I dont need a body lift to wear the 285 tires. I am thinking of upgrading to 17 inch rims but I am not sure I might keep the 16's for winter.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Well I just talked to my mechanic. he said that He will do a lift and I dont need a body lift to wear the 285 tires. I am thinking of upgrading to 17 inch rims but I am not sure I might keep the 16's for winter.
Cool...but you should do it yourself for the experience....like what if you have damage under there off road, and you haven't a clue as to how it goes together/what it was SUPPOSED to look like, etc...now that it (Might?) be damaged, etc.

And

You DO realize that if tire clearance is from a suspension lift, that the clearance is gone when you hit a bump/a tire rises?

If he makes it "fit" by adding evil uptravel robbing bumpstop extensions, that you are just losing uptravel/hurting your articulation?

If you don't mind the rub/hitting on bumps, turns, etc, sure a suspension lift alone is fine, but be sure you don't mind.

And, if you DON'T mind, just get the 305/70/16's anyway.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool...but you should do it yourself for the experience....like what if you have damage under there off road, and you haven't a clue as to how it goes together/what it was SUPPOSED to look like, etc...now that it (Might?) be damaged, etc.

And

You DO realize that if tire clearance is from a suspension lift, that the clearance is gone when you hit a bump/a tire rises?

If he makes it "fit" by adding evil uptravel robbing bumpstop extensions, that you are just losing uptravel/hurting your articulation?

If you don't mind the rub/hitting on bumps, turns, etc, sure a suspension lift alone is fine, but be sure you don't mind.

And, if you DON'T mind, just get the 305/70/16's anyway.

so whats the largest I can go on stock 16" rims with a 2" PML?

·
Registered
619 Posts
265/75/16 or 32/11.5/15, with a 2" body lift you can go with 33's.

The same size tire fits on a stock 00-04 X as fits on one with a pml. A PML makes no more room for larger tires. So the same tires that fit on a stock x fit on one with a pml.

A few people put 33's on a pml'ed X but they had to break out a BFH or a sawsall.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
You can't do a 2" PML, you won't be able to get the wheels aligned over ~ 1.5"....so you can do a 1.5" PML.

And, a suspension lift doesn't make room for larger tires, it only raises your ride height.....so you can fit the same tires you'd fit stock.

So, 32" diameter and ~ 12.5" section width are your limits without a BL.

That would typically be 265/75/16's, 32x11.5's, 275/70/16's, and so forth in a 16" size, depending upon WHICH tires specifically.

If you got a 2" BL in addition to (Or instead of) the $65 PML, you could fit 305/70/16's, 285/75/16's, etc.

Of course, as a PML is only ~ $65, you might as well do it too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts