Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a performance chip to up my gas mileage, but do they work. i'm desperate for better gas mileage i'm only getting 7 MPG city and i don't accelerate over 1500 RPM's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah thats what i was getting this summer when i first got it.. i just don't want to pay the cash to get it checked out..

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,579 Posts
yeah thats what i was getting this summer when i first got it.. i just don't want to pay the cash to get it checked out..
So have you considered the possibility that whatever problem is that is causing you to get 7 MPG cannot be overcome by the chip? You realize that the claims of improved mileage/power will more than likely only be achieved when installed on a properly performing engine....yes?

Spend the money and find out why your Xterra is getting 7 MPG.

·
Registered
43 Posts
holy mackeral, and I was complaining about getting 13-14 MPG, city.

BTW, are there any chips worthwhile for the first gens?

·
2001 Silver Xterra SE
292 Posts
If your getting 7mpg

Try to remember when you last did your timing belt. You can start there
tires at wrong air pressure/ brakes rubbing / leak in the gas tank / cheep gas
dirty spark plugs/ worn out distributor/ oil change/ the list goes on

no chip can fix all that.

·
2001 Silver Xterra SE
292 Posts
Monocle
4x4parts does a computer upgrade. However you can not drive for a week or 2.
any improvements done on your X1 for horsepower should all be done before you decide getting a chip upgrade.

Get the intake/ better alt / better battery/ better wheels/ Trany cooler / electric fan / do all that .........then dyno run it......if you can squeeze a little more than get the chip upgrade.....because once you do that.....there is no downgrade or undo. its a one time deal....... and they do ask you what mods have you done to improve the performance.

don't send it in and tell them you got a turbo and have not installed it yet. you get the chip and find out your x is not running right because no turbo.

mod first then decide

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the advice everyone, i have a 2 generation X so i have not problem in the power department. i guess tomorrow i'll take it into the dealer and have em hook it up to the computers and see whats goin on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
holy mackeral, and I was complaining about getting 13-14 MPG, city.

BTW, are there any chips worthwhile for the first gens?
I found the volo performance chip to be worth while. I was having a rought time shfting from 1st to 2nd in my 01 xterra, after this programmer it shifts much better as well as getting about 5 mpg better on longer drives. not too sure about in town yet. I will be sure to let you guys know after a few tanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found the volo performance chip to be worth while. I was having a rought time shfting from 1st to 2nd in my 01 xterra, after this programmer it shifts much better as well as getting about 5 mpg better on longer drives. not too sure about in town yet. I will be sure to let you guys know after a few tanks.
How did it turn out? Managed to recently pick up a 2001 XTerra myself and just figuring out a lot of this stuff now. Originally thought there was a transmission issue but looks like it just needed a tune-up. Now I'm looking to squeeze every marginal gain I can ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 Xterra

Hey! I just purchased a 2011 Xterra. I was wanting to get a chip, but I am worried it will hurt my computer. Thoughts? Reviews? Thanks!
-JC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts