Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Xterra enthusiasts. I've perused clubxterra.org for years, but I have not joined, until today. I need help, and any input is appreciated. In brief, I was told that I need to purchase a new or used PCM/ECM/ECU by AAMCO. I am receiving conflicting advice on purchasing an ECU. I've heard from some that I would need the number printed on the side of the unit to verify if the fit is correct with my application/vehicle. Then I have heard from others, that I will need to locate the serial number on my ECU, and match it with the serial on the unit I intend on purchasing. I have looked, but I am unable to locate the serial number on the unit. I did locate a number printed on the side: MEC07-331 G3 1185. I appreciate any help. At this juncture, if I am unable to solve the problem(s) by replacing the ECU, or am unable to, then I will have no choice but sell the truck for parts.

The story? Two months ago, out of the blue, my Xterra began to feel a little rough. It became progressively worse as I drove. The next day, I replaced the sparks/wires (NGK), distributor cap/rotor, and the misfire(s) continued. I then took the vehicle to AAMCO, and two weeks later, they stated that my Bank 1 catalytic converter was clogged, and needed replacement. I purchased a new part from a Nissan dealer ($800), and nothing. AAMCO is now saying that the ECU may be bad, as they are receiving faulty codes, i.e. cigarette lighter, and the ECU may not recognize the new part. To say it runs awful, is an understatement. My tachometer looks like its at a rave, and it drives like I have someone humping in back. This is my second Xterra, that I have taken great care of*, and sentimentally, I do not want to see "Blue" go. *The exception is, every time that I took my Xterra to Jiffy Lube, something new was broken. Two months prior to the misfire(s), they created a large tear in the air-intake duct when they checked the air filter, which I taped.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/formerly35mm/BLUE/

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Hello Xterra enthusiasts. I've perused clubxterra.org for years, but I have not joined, until today. I need help, and any input is appreciated. In brief, I was told that I need to purchase a new or used PCM/ECM/ECU by AAMCO. I am receiving conflicting advice on purchasing an ECU. I've heard from some that I would need the number printed on the side of the unit to verify if the fit is correct with my application/vehicle. Then I have heard from others, that I will need to locate the serial number on my ECU, and match it with the serial on the unit I intend on purchasing. I have looked, but I am unable to locate the serial number on the unit. I did locate a number printed on the side: MEC07-331 G3 1185. I appreciate any help. At this juncture, if I am unable to solve the problem(s) by replacing the ECU, or am unable to, then I will have no choice but sell the truck for parts.

The story? Two months ago, out of the blue, my Xterra began to feel a little rough. It became progressively worse as I drove. The next day, I replaced the sparks/wires (NGK), distributor cap/rotor, and the misfire(s) continued. I then took the vehicle to AAMCO, and two weeks later, they stated that my Bank 1 catalytic converter was clogged, and needed replacement. I purchased a new part from a Nissan dealer ($800), and nothing. AAMCO is now saying that the ECU may be bad, as they are receiving faulty codes, i.e. cigarette lighter, and the ECU may not recognize the new part. To say it runs awful, is an understatement. My tachometer looks like its at a rave, and it drives like I have someone humping in back. This is my second Xterra, that I have taken great care of*, and sentimentally, I do not want to see "Blue" go. *The exception is, every time that I took my Xterra to Jiffy Lube, something new was broken. Two months prior to the misfire(s), they created a large tear in the air-intake duct when they checked the air filter, which I taped.

IF you need an ECU, you can get a refurbished/recycled one online.

The bottom line is the one you GET IT FROM is the one who knows what numbers they need to get a match.

Frankly, I think most of that's baloney, and your VIN # alone should be enough. I replaced mine, twice, and they always wanted a serial #, and the number you quoted sounded like all I had too..but they kept saying that wasn't the right one.

So, what I did was just get one for the same year and engine/tranny...and it worked.

The ECU has to relearn YOUR truck over from scratch anyway, so, if the starting point is compatible, its all good after that.

:wink-big:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the input. I contacted a reputable on-line auto parts recycler who also sells on eBay, and they stated that they could not provide me with an affirmation of fit. They stated that I needed to contact a Nissan dealer to verify by VIN. I contacted my local Nissan dealer, and they could not provide me with any information, as if they were to look my fit by VIN, it would only return a part number that is only used for identification by Nissan. It makes no sense to me. The part number that the auto recycler provided me with is: MEC07-331 G3 1308, which is off on the last four digits. Therefore, he stated that it is not a fit. If this does not make any sense, no worry, I appreciate the feedback thus far.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Thank you for the input. I contacted a reputable on-line auto parts recycler who also sells on eBay, and they stated that they could not provide me with an affirmation of fit. They stated that I needed to contact a Nissan dealer to verify by VIN. I contacted my local Nissan dealer, and they could not provide me with any information, as if they were to look my fit by VIN, it would only return a part number that is only used for identification by Nissan. It makes no sense to me. The part number that the auto recycler provided me with is: MEC07-331 G3 1308, which is off on the last four digits. Therefore, he stated that it is not a fit. If this does not make any sense, no worry, I appreciate the feedback thus far.
Try Here:

http://aesmodules.com/AES_Automotiv...les_Automotive_Electionic_Solutions_Main.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Please disregard the previous. I called another Nissan dealership and provided them with my VIN, and they provided me with the 10-digit part number (237105S610).

I'll run with the information that I have. Thank you, and enjoy the trails.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Good Luck!

BTW - On the outside chance there is something that CAUSED the ECU to go south on you...see if you can check that out before frying the new one too.

:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AAMCO is still diagnosing the truck, but they did mention that the electrician saw rust, either on or around the ECU. I will surely keep that in mind.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
It can be condensation that forms on the metal parts when they are cold, and warm, moist air from outside comes in (Unless you've been driving around with the top open in the rain, or playing submarine, etc...).

The AC condensate can drip as well, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As an update, I sought a second opinion from a family automotive shop who quickly diagnosed and made all necessary repairs. The root cause was a faulty camshaft sensor, and the timing. The distributor was replaced, and the timing adjusted. In brief, I learned a $1400 lesson about retail automotive shops, and in the end, a mere $300 resolution saved "Blue".

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
That blows

Tech you could buy a universal piggy back or stand alone and hard wire it in, but then your in uncharted waters as far as tuning the X
Yup

Someone has to go first....

:lutscher-big:

·
Registered
15 Posts

My other project x is a blue 03 auto 4x4 se.
Got it for $400.
ECM and a huge slash in the intake.
Call the rwd 5-speed daily, "Pikachu " and The 4x4 "Squirtle".
Lol
I hope to get it back right again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts