Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my X on jacks the other day to install a PML and after letting her down and disengaging the parking brake (aka ebrake) I noticed that the ride was pretty weird. After some further investigation, I could both hear and feel (hot to the touch) that it was the drivers side that was dragging. The cable is loose so it seems like something on the inside of the brake that's an issue. Probably just dirty and stuck. Regardless, I took the wheel off to get a better look and couldn't figure out how to get the drum off. I confess, I've never removed the drum brakes, let alone one with an engaged parking brake. Any link/suggestions about how to go about this. I can't just bang on the backside due some sort of flange protecting the other side of the drum. I tried tapping the exterior of the drum with a deadblow but no luck trying to manually pull it off. I did notice that there were two threaded holes inbetween the lug bolts that might be used to tighten a bolt so it pushes on the other side against a plate and in turn pushes the drum off. Any ideas?

Thanks for all your help,
Chad

·
ASE Certified
4,772 Posts
The bolts should work to pull it off, go slow and alternate to each bolt regularly. Be careful though you could break your hold down pins and have to get a hold down kit and replace the broken pins. you'll get all the springs in the kit though so it would be worth it to replace them all if something breaks.

Cheack to make sure your shoes are contacting the stud at the top of the drum when you pull the drum off. If they arent its a problem with your parking brake. Otherwise it will probably be due to your starwheel being adjuster out too far making the shoes contact.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Do you have a manual?

First thing to do is back off the adjusters through the hole(s) in the backing plate. Then you'll be able to persuade the drum to come off using the bolts and bolt holes against the hub.

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
use those threaded holes, usually a deadblow works but if one of the shoes is engaged with the drum then it probably wouldnt....

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
It might not come off without special tools. You can try spraying penetrating oil around the hub area and tap around the drum with a hammer. If still frozen, try to retract the brake shoes by accessing the adjuster's star wheel. Knock out the access plug in the brake's backing plate with a hammer and chisel if necessary, then use a small screwdriver to turn the star wheel until the shoes retract far enough to remove the drum. If that doesn't work, you may have to have a shop pull it off using a puller.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts