Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Paint started peeling off front fender . Now chips of paint around all windows. Paint now peeling in chunks off of back window area. Need to clean it and repaint but is this a factory primer problem. Suggestions?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a Shock Blue 2002 and it also has paint that has peeled away from some of the inner jambs along the doors and rear hatch area. I know the truck has had some paint touch ups but, I don't think in these areas.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
could be tons of factors outside bad primer, could have been wrecked and poorly repainted new panels, could have been horrid paint care by previous owners (very likely, my 2000 silver x had terrible clear peel on roof, back hatch and some other spots as previous owners parked in sun alot and never waxed it) could be as others are saying having the known issues with a few model years and colors so the issue similar to what you suspect. as i said some pics would really help us help you determine whats going on

·
Registered
67 Posts
My 2000 silver exteriors doing a similar thing. I just figured it's happening cuz vehicles old and it's time for it to shed its skin.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
My 2000 silver exteriors doing a similar thing. I just figured it's happening cuz vehicles old and it's time for it to shed its skin.
yeah, 20 year old paint isnt going to be great, if not cared for when i had my 2000 it had been neglected i needed a cheap truck and it was mechanically sound though, needed suspenion work and the paint looked horrible but ran great

·
Registered
758 Posts
Aside from the age of the vehicle, the early Xterra and Frontier are known to have paint issues. I've heard that this was due to the adoption of a new painting process that reduced the thickness of the paint and they still hadn't worked the kinks out. My 2000 Xterra is lined up for a pain job when I have time to get the gun out (hopefully in the next year) and I've noticed crazing in the clear coat of my 2003 Xterra that shows up as dark lines where dirt has gotten trapped (washing does not remove these lines). I suspect the X will require paint in the next few years as well. It may even jump the cue on the Fronty since the X is at 72k and the Frontier is at 196k. Frontier is also in line for it's first clutch replacement since the throwout bearing is starting to make noise on the rare occasion, but hey, 196k miles on a factory clutch... Who can complain?

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Aside from the age of the vehicle, the early Xterra and Frontier are known to have paint issues. I've heard that this was due to the adoption of a new painting process that reduced the thickness of the paint and they still hadn't worked the kinks out. My 2000 Xterra is lined up for a pain job when I have time to get the gun out (hopefully in the next year) and I've noticed crazing in the clear coat of my 2003 Xterra that shows up as dark lines where dirt has gotten trapped (washing does not remove these lines). I suspect the X will require paint in the next few years as well. It may even jump the cue on the Fronty since the X is at 72k and the Frontier is at 196k. Frontier is also in line for it's first clutch replacement since the throwout bearing is starting to make noise on the rare occasion, but hey, 196k miles on a factory clutch... Who can complain?
196k on factory clutch is what i expect from Japanese makers my old mazda protege 5 went almost exactly the same mileage and same thing throwout bearing started making noise and clutch action got more diffcult,, of course less than 30k after i replaced it some dud blew a yield sign and it was totaled as he hit me square in the front wheel and it being fwd it broke the cv axle but also pushed that axle into the transmission snd messed it up so bad it wouldnt come out of the gear it was in for me to even move it. still miss that car, only had 135hp but it was super fun to drive as it barely weight more than 2500 pounds and handled great

1 - 9 of 9 Posts