Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2002 3.3 XE with 220K Miles. I had misfire and knock sensor codes causing the vehicle to go into limp mode so the shop put in a new distributor and cleaned the MAF sensor. When leaving the shop, the car would not shift into OD. I pulled the codes when I got home and I'm getting Knock Sensor and P0744 TCC circuit intermittent. The car was well maintained. Recently had timing belt, water pump and steering pump replaced before I bought it.

My thoughts are to try the following in order and see if it clears up the problem.

1) Either flush or change the transmission fluid (thoughts on which would be better?
2) Pull off transmission pan and check for significant metal shavings
3a) If significant metal shavings then consider looking for a used transmission to have installed
3b) If reasonably clean, check/replace filter and replace TCC Solenoid. (is this a reasonable job for someone with limited car experience, but who is competent technically?)
4)Find a new transmission.

Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated as money is tight and I bought the the car only a week ago.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
I would go with #2 there is no filter only screen to clean change fluid ,add magnet to bottom of pan . Check for broken solenoid spring parts in bottom of pan they rust and break off, easy fix.If you have a big sludge in the pan go for another tran. Remember the downer trans must be the same year the 2002 is a lone wolf.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. Which transmission fluid would you recommend and do I need to replace the gasket on the pan as well?

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
Yes you need a pan gasket all so a floor jack the rear cross member needs to be remove,lot of people try to it with removing and end up striping the bolts out . Dextron from any parts store . What color is the fluid now ??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Got all ready to start dumping fluid and rechecked paperwork that came with the vehicle. Looks like the same codes were coming up in January. Previous owner had solenoid ad filter replaced.

Any new thoughts?

Shifting is smooth and quiet all the way through gears. Doesn't even attempt to go into overdrive. Still no check engine light but same codes are still showing up.

Could it have anything to do with temperature? I've read that if the transmission fluid is cold the car won't let you enter OD. It's definitely not cold out but could there be a sensor malfunction?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No shaking, unpredictable tach or speedometer movement. Just never tries to shift into 4th. Overdrive solenoid problem? Could that cause the TCC code?

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
And a lot of other things i am not at home when i get back i look in the manual and see if any else jumps out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much for your help dejablue. I feel like the obvious answer is a scrapped transmission but I'm not sure I have the skills to do it myself or the money to take it somewhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts