Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys! My wife's 08 Xterra threw a P0717 code today. O'Reilly and a search of this forum has me scared. So here's the story: late last year you all helped me realize this Xterra was prone to the SMOD problem. My mechanic looked at it, thought I might have been starting that issue, so I changed the radiator and had him flush and (new) filter the transmission (back in Feb; I didn't drive it between diagnosis and repair). Today the code. Checked the transmission fluid, and it's giving me mixed signals. It looks clear (normal pink) and doesn't stink, but as I was wiping the dipstick there seemed to be a lot of gray residue coming off of it. I did read that gray is bad. I didn't notice any driving problems until after I had the code read, then every bump seemed like death (probably my over-sensitivity to it at that point).

So..... am I SMOD'ed or could there be another issue?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Hey Guys! My wife's 08 Xterra threw a P0717 code today. O'Reilly and a search of this forum has me scared. So here's the story: late last year you all helped me realize this Xterra was prone to the SMOD problem. My mechanic looked at it, thought I might have been starting that issue, so I changed the radiator and had him flush and (new) filter the transmission (back in Feb; I didn't drive it between diagnosis and repair). Today the code. Checked the transmission fluid, and it's giving me mixed signals. It looks clear (normal pink) and doesn't stink, but as I was wiping the dipstick there seemed to be a lot of gray residue coming off of it. I did read that gray is bad. I didn't notice any driving problems until after I had the code read, then every bump seemed like death (probably my over-sensitivity to it at that point).

So..... am I SMOD'ed or could there be another issue?
SMOD is coolant mixing with the transmission fluid. That's a whole different look than a gray residue. Gray residue makes me think of aluminum wear particles. The 717 code is calling out TCM...trans control module...turbine sensor. I would follow up with your transmission service guy. Want to be sure the TCM electrical connection to the transmission is solid.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts