Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guysa'
i have a 2000 xterra 4x4 with p0500 code. Spedo/odometer do not work so i went to autozone and bought a vss..well i cant get old one out and apon calling shops they were telling me i have more than 1 speed sensor and i may be changing the wrong one(not very pleasant people when you tell them you yourself scanned the code and got sensor)...everywhere i read i do not see i have more than one unless its abs speed sensor...could this code mean they are bad or do you think i have the correct sensor already and these places are just trying to get me for other charges..

any help is great thank you

p.s apon search code p0500 i see it is Vehicle speed sensor 'A' on engine-codes.com with that code

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Factory service manuals are free here, and they have all code info and how to troubleshoot and repair:
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Xterra/2000/ec.pdf

code P0500 for the V6 engine starts on page EC-988

"The vehicle speed sensor is installed in the transaxle. It contains a pulse generator which provides a vehicle speed signal to the speedometer. The speedometer then sends a signal to the ECM."

On Board Diagnosis Logic

Malfunction is detected when the almost 0 km/h (0 MPH) signal from vehicle speed sensor is sent to ECM even when vehicle is being driven.

POSSIBLE CAUSE
* Harness or connector (The vehicle speed sensor circuit is open or shorted.)
* Vehicle speed sensor

The wiring diagram that follows shows only one sensor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you, yea the guy i spoke too was at an aamco, and he instantly had an attitude when i told him i was trying to self diagnose, even when i said back to him, well obviously im calling you cause i want your diagnoses so their no reason for an attitude...thanks i really appreciate it, i did a little searching but i needed a fast answer cause i need to go through inspection by end of month and of course this had to happen a few weeks before right..

thanks again

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
BTW the parent directory for your X FSM is here:
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Xterra/2000/

Index chapter is "fwd.pdf"

The previous link is for one chapter. The replacement info is likely in another chapter in case you want to read into it further.

·
Registered
7 Posts
did you ever get this fixed I am having same issue was able to replace speed sensor checked continuity through all wires in the harness from ecm to speedometer and from sensor to instrument cluster all had zero resistance and and we will see how it will work after I do drive cycle since I disconnected my ecm my code is not there. but please let me know what you experienced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue. I had the rear main replaced and my speedo has not worked since. I have already replaced the VSS, still no speedometer. In addition, the atp light is on and I will get a hesitation when driving at both low and high speeds. I drop it into neutral and back into drive and it clears up. Any advise?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i agree with dejablue, when they put seal back in they could havejolted somethingand chipped or broke gear inside where vss goes or could be coincidence..but def check gear where vss goes(since it was just changed it should be easy to come back out), and did you check voltage to the vss

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just FYI I replaced my VSS and still had P0500 code showing. After doing some research and some resistance testing and making sure the conductivity was there which there was. However with that research I found that there was some running issues with first and second gen Xterras. Your instrument cluster might have a loose connection in it. If you pull your cluster out it will be the white connector on the right is the culprit. I have found after looking into my dash that the pig tails were not wound very nicely and securely. So I just wrapped both pigtails with electrical tape and then a zip tie right near the end of the pig tail so it’s been about a week now and no code return so far. DISCLAIMER I know this is a quick fix to remedy the problem it helped me pass inspection here in Texas and I will hopefully buy a slightly used cluster on line and send to a refurbishing place to make sure there are no issues but it will be awhile obviously I’m sure it’s not cheap but who knows I’m a huge supporter of doing things the correct way but hopefully this will help someone like me in the interim. Good luck and X-on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts