Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is already a sticky about the P0328 knock sensor code, but I did not see any information about how it relates to the other two codes. I have only driven about 200 miles since buying the X, and the previous owners told me that they recently had the knock sensor replaced. Knowing that a P0328 code does not usually mean that the sensor is bad, I have been anticipating this SES light.

Has anyone else had this set of codes? What was the outcome?

Thanks,

·
Registered
158 Posts
do a compression test on your engine and if its good get new cats now or better yet long tube headers that eliminated them.
My cat broke apart internally and took out my engine, I had to do a full rebuild on it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ouch! Bad cats can actually ruin your engine? Are there any other possible reasons why I am getting these codes, or do I just have to pony up for new ones? I'll check compression today.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ouch! Bad cats can actually ruin your engine? Are there any other possible reasons why I am getting these codes, or do I just have to pony up for new ones? I'll check compression today.
it could be an electrical problem with that sensor circuit.. how long has it been since it first threw that code?

and yup I let mine go for too long and it broke apart internally.. then the little debris dust got scavenged back into the cylinders which took out my rings.. if your compression is still good and you figure its not a electrical fault i wouldnt risk not replacing or eliminating them...
how many miles/kilometers on it?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The X has 130K on it. The previous owners only owned it for two years, and they could not tell me anything about what had been done before they owned it. I was already planning on replacing the timing belt, water pump, and idler bearing because it could be 25k overdue. The distributor had bad bearings (knew that when I bought it), so I installed a new one with new NGK wires. Haven't replaced the plugs yet because I am dreading #6 . This is the first time I have seen any SES warning. Last weekend I did a 80 mile road trip after my recent repairs with no issues.

Possibly related, there is a tiny pin hole in the muffler that drains a considerable amount of water at startup, but it does not smell like coolant. Also, the intake has a coating of black sludge (maybe a bad PCV and/or valve cover gaskets). Eventually, I plan to go through the entire top end, but I don't want to spend the money and agonizing time if this is going to be a money pit.

Headers and high-flow cats sound nice, though!

·
Registered
158 Posts
my intake was pretty sludgy.. are you burning a lot of oil? that will plug cats real quick.. your best bet when you change your plugs is do a compression test to make sure your bottom end is good. if all is well get headers asap.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still have not had a chance to do a compression test. Is it possible that one of the oxygen sensors is failing but not throwing an error code for it? Those sensors are what determine when a cat is bad.

On the subject of headers, it does not look like there is much available for the VG33E. Doug Thorley has a set, but they don't look like equal length. It also doesn't look like there's a whole lot of room for them. '02 through '04 Xterras had an improved exhaust manifold over the other VG33E equipped rigs. Would headers really make that much of a difference?

Not burning oil as far as I can tell so far. Exhaust looks and smells normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts