Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Nissan Xterra 4x4 SE 3.3L
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I got a misfire in my 01 3.3l and I cleaned the mass air flow sensor and I’m gonna try some Techron injector cleaner. I already put new plugs in before this so maybe the gap widened idk lol but if not that stuff maybe new wires and distributor? Trying to go cheap before I get deeper but it doesn’t run like it’s misfiring on the first start of the day but it does when I start it again after it warms up. Anything helps(hat in hand)🥺

·
Registered
66 Posts
Could possibly be the fuel pressure regulator as well. There's a small vacuum line on the back of the intake that can be removed and if fuel comes out of it, then that's a problem that should be addressed. Usually that's associated with a p0306, but could still possibly be a problem. Distributors are a common failure point on these too so it's definitely a possibility.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
get a new cap, rotor and wires and see if it clears, pull plug #1 and #5 and check their conditions and gap as well. while changing the cap and rotor take the cover off the inside of the dizzy and look under it (2 screws hold it on) and check the condition of the bearing common as the 3.3 gets miles on it as its self lubed and eventually dries and eats itself. how bad is the misfire? super noticeable and down on power or just kinda off a it and a code?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
And blackberry brought in the next thing to check, leaky injectors wet fouling plugs and fuel sending unit (there was actually a recall that) can cause this as well.

·
Registered
2003 Nissan Xterra Se Super Charged, auction project. It needs some love. Manifolds both
39 Posts
Had the same code P0300. It turned out to be the injector connector. Unplug and plug the connector problem solved..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The misfire is ugly but it seems to go away after a minute and usually when I stop at a stop sign and when I start going again all the power is working again. I changed the plugs about a thousand miles ago and they were pregapped and checked. I can pull them and check them again tho. I was leaning toward the distributor but I want to start at cheaper possibilities lol thanks guys I’ll keep posting🤙🏽

·
Registered
2003 Nissan Xterra Se Super Charged, auction project. It needs some love. Manifolds both
39 Posts
The misfire is ugly but it seems to go away after a minute and usually when I sto p at a stop sign and when I start going again all the power is working again. I changed the plugs about a thousand miles ago and they were pregapped and checked. I can pull them and check them again tho. I was leaning toward the distributor but I want to start at cheaper possibilities lol thanks guys I’ll keep posting🤙🏽
I have replaced my distributor, nothing changed! Luckily got a new one from a car dealer friend. The 3.3 shakes a lot the injector connectors with a little age are problematic. I started to buy a set of injectors. But on the S/C version, its too much pain. So check your connectors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
get a new cap, rotor and wires and see if it clears, pull plug #1 and #5 and check their conditions and gap as well. while changing the cap and rotor take the cover off the inside of the dizzy and look under it (2 screws hold it on) and check the condition of the bearing common as the 3.3 gets miles on it as its self lubed and eventually dries and eats itself. how bad is the misfire? super noticeable and down on power or just kinda off a it and a code?
I replaced the cap and rotor and but I’ll look deeper in the distributor. I found the small vacuum hose behind the intake manifold, replaced it. I forgot to mention that when I got the car and completely filled up the gas tank, I noticed I could smell gas and I could see a leak somewhere on top. Is it possible that it can mess with the fuel pressure? I did notice at 2500rpm on the highway(any gear) I can feel vibration under my feet but I don’t think it’s bad enough to be a mount( or maybe lol). Thank you guys very much for the tips so far

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I replaced the cap and rotor and but I’ll look deeper in the distributor. I found the small vacuum hose behind the intake manifold, replaced it. I forgot to mention that when I got the car and completely filled up the gas tank, I noticed I could smell gas and I could see a leak somewhere on top. Is it possible that it can mess with the fuel pressure? I did notice at 2500rpm on the highway(any gear) I can feel vibration under my feet but I don’t think it’s bad enough to be a mount( or maybe lol). Thank you guys very much for the tips so far
you likely need a new distributor. but 1st gens also had an issue with fuel sending units https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2004/RCRIT-04V230-8435.pdf likely related to that leak you mentioned. when was the last time the in line fuel filter was changed? (yes all 1st gens have one) should be mounted on driverside of vehicle near fuel tank on a frame cross rail.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you likely need a new distributor. but 1st gens also had an issue with fuel sending units https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2004/RCRIT-04V230-8435.pdf likely related to that leak you mentioned. when was the last time the in line fuel filter was changed? (yes all 1st gens have one) should be mounted on driverside of vehicle near fuel tank on a frame cross rail.
I’m gonna see if I can get an in line filter today and try that. I was looking into the fuel pressure also so that’s next. I’ll look at that link you posted. Probably hafta get a new distributor I’m guessing but either way all the other stuff should be replaced. Thanks man I’ll keep posting

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I’m gonna see if I can get an in line filter today and try that. I was looking into the fuel pressure also so that’s next. I’ll look at that link you posted. Probably hafta get a new distributor I’m guessing but either way all the other stuff should be replaced. Thanks man I’ll keep posting
no problem, duralast gold from autozone is a good distributor choice had one on both my 3.3 enginesd and never had another issue with either, lifetime no questions warranty too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no problem, duralast gold from autozone is a good distributor choice had one on both my 3.3 enginesd and never had another issue with either, lifetime no questions warranty too.

Found a crack in my exhaust manifold. I thought I heard a pop sound when it started but the misfire threw me off. I got the manifold and I’ll post when I put it on🤙🏽

·
Registered
39 Posts
That was my first repair. Been there, replaced both of mine. It made a big difference in the way it sounds and performance. I'm going to watch the quality of the gas used.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Check both sides more than likely they are both cracked
Okay I’m gonna start taking it off now and I’ll take the other heat shield off too. I was watching a YouTube video and it said it was pretty common I guess. It’s a pretty good crack so I hope it solves my misfire problem. They started at the same time so I think so...

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
View attachment 74853
Found a crack in my exhaust manifold. I thought I heard a pop sound when it started but the misfire threw me off. I got the manifold and I’ll post when I put it on🤙🏽
oh man, both my 3.3s had some minor manifold cracking but nothing that caused any issues.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts