Nissan XTerra Forum banner

P0158 Need Help Finding & Replacing O2 Sensor!

2K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  packpride85 
#1 ·
I've been having a lot of white smoke coming off my Xterra. Usually only when it's cold or there's a lot of moisture. I can crank it up and the smoke flys out for a good 3 minutes with a huge cloud of smoke. I've also noticed the front on the passenger side has some smoke coming out too. Right around where that O2 sensor plugs in. I went by Oreily's and got a P0158 code. I would be happy to replace the O2 sensor to try and fix all of this. Only problem is I don't know which one it is! Engine-codes.com says P0158 refers to the Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor 2. Oreily's sells them as upstream and downstream so I don't know the difference. So could someone help me figure out what O2 sensor to replace and which one to buy???

#4 ·
The ex manifold is crack around the sensor this happens to all most all Xterras. The white smoke is steam burning off from water draining in to the cylinder over night should never smoke for 3 mins.In Cozumel the humidity is 120 % my truck never burns white smoke . The o2 sensor is sending a code because it has water on it.Your are wasting your money buying a o2 sensor it will not fix the problem ,the up stream and down stream o2 measure the quality of the gas coming if the down stream 02 does not show a improvement from the up stream o2 it throws a code PO158, changing the sensor will work for 5 mins till it get more water on it .

#5 ·
The ex manifold is crack around the sensor this happens to all most all Xterras. The white smoke is steam burning off from water draining in to the cylinder over night should never smoke for 3 mins.In Cozumel the humidity is 120 % my truck never burns white smoke . The o2 sensor is sending a code because it has water on it.Your are wasting your money buying a o2 sensor it will not fix the problem ,the up stream and down stream o2 measure the quality of the gas coming if the down stream 02 does not show a improvement from the up stream o2 it throws a code PO158, changing the sensor will work for 5 mins till it get more water on it .
Ok well I'm gonna buy some of that blue devil head gasket seal. I think all you do is drain take the thermostat out, pour it in, add some water and let it run for an hour ot so. I don't think I could change the head gasket myself.

#6 ·
Ok well I'm gonna buy some of that blue devil head gasket seal. I think all you do is drain take the thermostat out, pour it in, add some water and let it run for an hour ot so. I don't think I could change the head gasket myself.
If you put that in you will need a new radiator and water pump, that stuff will plug the whole thing up .That stuff is for when you break down on the side of the road to help get you home.
Changing head gasket is not that hard and really dont need any special tools just a place to work .

#8 ·
If you put that in you will need a new radiator and water pump, that stuff will plug the whole thing up .That stuff is for when you break down on the side of the road to help get you home.
Changing head gasket is not that hard and really dont need any special tools just a place to work .
No way. Nowhere else says its for that. I just put a new radiator in. Im not losing much coolant btw. I've read online, people using blue devil and still going strong.

#11 · (Edited)
1. Yes its possible it can clog passages in your radiator. Maybe not as bad if yours is new but its possible.
2. That stuff isn't a permanent fix. You may get a few months out of it at best. Notice how all the reviews are from people who just recently used it?
3. If your head is already warped it won't work at all.

If you can't afford to do the proper fix now one shot might buy you some time but you run the risk of causing blockages elsewhere and warping if that seal deteriorates.

#14 ·
Jesus. I really don't want to change all of that, especially after just changing the radiator. What are my options here?
1. Dump in the leak seal and take your chances
2. Take the truck out of service while you replace the HG
3. Have a shop do the HG
4. Do nothing and keep refilling radiator

Would advise against #1 and #4 .
I think I'll try the sealer. I still have a warrantu on the radiator at least... Cant afford to fix it for a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.