Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Xterra 3.3 NON SC automatic. 185 miles.
This had a Left bank catalyst code and leaking valve cover since we picked it up 3 months ago. But ran fine.

Decided to tackle the leaking valve covers, replace fuel injectors (complete rail) from our wrecked 03 Xterra that had 6 month old hitachi injectors. And replace the drivers side ex manifold/converter.

Pulled the intake, swapped out the fuel rail/injectors, new valve cover gaskets, started the left side ex manifold, but backed off when the ERG tube would not budge.
Replaced the manifold and installed new fuel filter.

Upon completion it fired right up but idles poorly on and off. (idles fine for 20 seconds, idles crappy for 15-20 seconds, back and forth)
And I have codes P0132, P0138, P0152, and P0158
I added a heavy ground wire with soldered eyelets from the intake to the passenger cyl head,, ground wire from Neg bat terminal to body, and from Neg bat term to each ex manifold.

Cleared the codes and it seamed to idle fine,, but the codes came back and the poor idle returned.

I used a new Felpro upper intake gasket, but had to remove the ERG valve to install the intake, and re-installed the ERG with the old gasket.

I also had to replace the drives side down stream O2 sensor (damaged it during my work) grabbed a 6 month old one from the wrecked 03 Xterra and had to splice the 04 plug on it (soldered and heat shrink)

I know, a ton of things going on,, but why the same fault on all 4 O2 sensors ??

Where should I start,, I know all 4 did not go bad, I know the wiring for all 4 did not go bad.

Any direction I should start looking ??

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,812 Posts
2004 Xterra 3.3 NON SC automatic. 185 miles.
This had a Left bank catalyst code and leaking valve cover since we picked it up 3 months ago. But ran fine.

Decided to tackle the leaking valve covers, replace fuel injectors (complete rail) from our wrecked 03 Xterra that had 6 month old hitachi injectors. And replace the drivers side ex manifold/converter.

Pulled the intake, swapped out the fuel rail/injectors, new valve cover gaskets, started the left side ex manifold, but backed off when the ERG tube would not budge.
Replaced the manifold and installed new fuel filter.

Upon completion it fired right up but idles poorly on and off. (idles fine for 20 seconds, idles crappy for 15-20 seconds, back and forth)
And I have codes P0132, P0138, P0152, and P0158
I added a heavy ground wire with soldered eyelets from the intake to the passenger cyl head,, ground wire from Neg bat terminal to body, and from Neg bat term to each ex manifold.

Cleared the codes and it seamed to idle fine,, but the codes came back and the poor idle returned.

I used a new Felpro upper intake gasket, but had to remove the ERG valve to install the intake, and re-installed the ERG with the old gasket.

I also had to replace the drives side down stream O2 sensor (damaged it during my work) grabbed a 6 month old one from the wrecked 03 Xterra and had to splice the 04 plug on it (soldered and heat shrink)

I know, a ton of things going on,, but why the same fault on all 4 O2 sensors ??

Where should I start,, I know all 4 did not go bad, I know the wiring for all 4 did not go bad.

Any direction I should start looking ??
Codes on all 4 O2 sensors seems like they are probably unhappy about seeing too much fuel. Might double check the fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Codes on all 4 O2 sensors seems like they are probably unhappy about seeing too much fuel. Might double check the fuel pressure regulator.
thanks,,
in the 2004 is that in the gas tank/fuel pump?
There is a vac diaphragm device on the rear of the fuel rail.

I pulled the entire fuel rail with new injectors from my wrecked 03,, and put it on my 04,, assuming they are the same ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looked at the live data on the cheapo scanner.
as I said it idles fine for 20 seconds, idles crappy for 20 seconds, ideles fine, crappy.

when idling fine the "fuel trim" 1 and 2 : longterm = neg 7-9 and shortterm pos 12-20
when the idle goes to crappy the short term goes to zero, than pos 2-5

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,812 Posts
thanks,,

I pulled the entire fuel rail with new injectors from my wrecked 03,, and put it on my 04,, assuming they are the same ?
I have a 2015 Gen2 but from everything I have seen here on the forum for your Gen1 3.3 ....yes that vacuum device at the rear of the fuel rail is the fuel pressure regulator. When you pull the vacuum hoses off that FPR you should NOT see any raw fuel come out of the hoses!

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,812 Posts
thanks,,

Did you pull all 6 injectors from the 03 to put on the 04? Does the color code on the injectors all match? Are the 03 injectors a different color code than what was on the 04? Around and around we go. Be sure the injectors are all seated properly. Even might want to measure the resistance of each of the injectors. Should be 11-13 ohms across the open injector coil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you pull all 6 injectors from the 03 to put on the 04? Does the color code on the injectors all match? Are the 03 injectors a different color code than what was on the 04? Around and around we go. Be sure the injectors are all seated properly. Even might want to measure the resistance of each of the injectors. Should be 11-13 ohms across the open injector coil.
The old injectors from my current 04 were pink,,
The fuel rail with injectors I pulled off the 03 are pink. They are Hitachi injectors I installed new on the 03 12 months ago, that car/engine ran fine up until the 03 was wrecked 2 months ago.

What I am confused about is all 4 O2 sensors are throwing a code "Oxygen Sensor Circuit High Voltage "
After my day of "repairs"
If all 4 started throwing the code immediately after my "repairs" , I am guessing it is not an individual O2 sensor, individual injector ?

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,812 Posts
The old injectors from my current 04 were pink,,
The fuel rail with injectors I pulled off the 03 are pink. They are Hitachi injectors I installed new on the 03 12 months ago, that car/engine ran fine up until the 03 was wrecked 2 months ago.

What I am confused about is all 4 O2 sensors are throwing a code "Oxygen Sensor Circuit High Voltage "
After my day of "repairs"
If all 4 started throwing the code immediately after my "repairs" , I am guessing it is not an individual O2 sensor, individual injector ?
Expect they are reacting to the fuel problem being caused upstream and getting to the Oxygen sensors. More of a centralized issue considering both banks are unhappy. They are likely distracting you from the root cause. FPR maybe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Expect they are reacting to the fuel problem being caused upstream and getting to the Oxygen sensors. More of a centralized issue considering both banks are unhappy. They are likely distracting you from the root cause. FPR maybe.
Agreed, it is likely a centralized problem.
I will go through my grounds again, clean/check the MAF,
And check my fuel pressure.

Is it possible to replace the FPR without removing the upper intake ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Even though I had added ground wires from the intake to the engine block, From the Neg batt terminal to the Body and each exhaust manifold,, Turns out my engine wire harness to intake connection was poor.
I cleaned that eyelet on the wire harness, sanded the intake at the screw boss where the grounding eyelet mounts, and wire brushed the bolt.
That straightened out the rough idle and got rid of my bizarre V readings and NEG 20 trim on the O2 sensors.

I was now able to get what I felt was true readings on the fuel trim, I was getting POS 7-9 long trim and 11-15 short trim on both banks, showing I had a possible vacuum leak affecting both banks.

Took a can of carb cleaner and started spraying around the intake and vac hoses, I got about a 2 point drop in short trim readings when I was spraying around the EGR, I remebered I had to re-use the gasket when I re-mounted the ERG valve. I sprayed directly down were it mounts and the short trim readings dropped below 3-5.

I think I have it solved, I'll remount with a new gasket and run it for a day.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,812 Posts
Even though I had added ground wires from the intake to the engine block, From the Neg batt terminal to the Body and each exhaust manifold,, Turns out my engine wire harness to intake connection was poor.
I cleaned that eyelet on the wire harness, sanded the intake at the screw boss where the grounding eyelet mounts, and wire brushed the bolt.
That straightened out the rough idle and got rid of my bizarre V readings and NEG 20 trim on the O2 sensors.

I was now able to get what I felt was true readings on the fuel trim, I was getting POS 7-9 long trim and 11-15 short trim on both banks, showing I had a possible vacuum leak affecting both banks.

Took a can of carb cleaner and started spraying around the intake and vac hoses, I got about a 2 point drop in short trim readings when I was spraying around the EGR, I remebered I had to re-use the gasket when I re-mounted the ERG valve. I sprayed directly down were it mounts and the short trim readings dropped below 3-5.

I think I have it solved, I'll remount with a new gasket and run it for a day.
Well done! Bravo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts