Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Info: 2004 V6 4x4 113,500 Miles, Automatic
Notes:
a. Both front and rear differentials were just serviced.
b. Rear drums and shoes plus spring kit just done.
c. Loud click was present prior to above.

After starting the car, I can go into reverse just fine...but a few feet backing out of the driveway and coming to a stop (at very low speed), I hear this singular loud click from what sounds like the rear. Again, it only clicks once, and it's usually after the car has been shut off for a bit or overnight; in other words, if I'm running around town and pull into reverse, it's not happening--that said, I am in reverse for more feet/distance as I am exiting my driveway than, say, if I am coming out of a parking spot, but something is "warming up" and it's not as prevalent.

As I am braking to check for cars (pulling out into road), the click kind of coincides with said braking.

I googled the issue, and this came up:

"Sometimes, this type of problem is an indication of a wheel bearing that is starting to wear. As the wheel spins, it will build-up heat and the noise can go away. However, over time this clunking sound will turn into a constant grinding noise. It’s also possible that you have a rear brake that is sticking or even a rear stabilizer bar that is worn out."

Also, I seem to be having a park neutral switch issue, which may or may not be related but just in case it is, I am including the following:
the car typically must be started in Neutral, and only sometimes will it start in Park. Occasionally, a jiggle of the shifter into Park seems to do the trick, or it just works as expected.

Maybe this is what's causing the reverse click? Any chance it's related? I bought the Park Neutral Position Switch on eBay but have no idea how to get to the transmission to replace it. (Guess I'm heading to the dealership, ugh.)

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
2,857 Posts
If it happens immediately as you start to move, it could be brakes moving from resting after stopping while moving forward, sitting overnight and getting a bit grabby (common), and then shifting to the rear and clicking when hitting the limit of their movement.

Happens mostly with disc brakes, but I guess it could happen with the rear drums.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,308 Posts
I hate the sound but if it's all new back there (brakes, drums, etc.) then hopefully it's just moisture...

Thanks 👍
Did you do the brake work in the back? Sounds to me like the brake shoes aren't adjusted properly there in the rear. I adjust the shoes out wider until there is just a slight drag between the shoe material and the wheel drum surface.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts