Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Xterra SE with 225k miles on the chassis, well last April I was turning into a driveway about a week after I bought it and one leaf on the passenger side of the xterra snapped. I didn't have the money to fix it then so it has pretty much sat since then with me starting it every Saturday. Well, now I finally have the money to fix it and was wondering if I should go with some thicker heavy duty leaf springs or just get stock sized aftermarket. I also plan on doing the Calmini 3" lift around the same time I am changing out the springs (which includes the AAL in the kit). What would you guys recommend? I would like to keep this total cost ~$1500 or less.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
might as well go with a custom set of Alcan springs at that point. you get them built with 3" of lift already. then all you'd need to buy from calmini is the UCA's.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yeah, but what about the HD torsion bars, shocks and all the other things that come in that kit?
I agree with Akuria. Go with the Alcan springs, from what I've heard they're pretty nice.

As for the HD torsion bars, you can do a 3" lift (with new UCAs) with or without them. I had my 3 inch lift for over a year and only got HD torsion bars after I got a steel front bumper because my front end was bouncing quite a bit over bumps.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
You are throwing money away buying the Calmini kit. Shocks are no good.You would be chucking them right away for Bilsteins. Other things in the kit to think about are the TBs. Calmini are only 20% stiffer than OEM. SAW TBs are 30% stiffer than OEM. Something to think about if you plan on a bumper & winch. Calmini AALs are fine along with their rear lift shackles. Their UCAs will get the job done. Better off either piecing a lift together or going through 4x4 parts. Calmini is a hit or miss with them getting stuff to you. Your best bet is to first figure out which way you want to go about with your leaf springs. I agree with age and milage in them that it would be better to replace the leaf springs. Since the one leaf snapped on the one side; the other side is not far behind. Always best/ safest to replace both sides at the same time. You can get an OEM replacement type for considerably less than Alcans. Since you have the 2000 model; you have the better 3 leaf plus OL leaf. It flexes better than the 2 leaf plus OL leaf of the rest of the 1st Gen Xterras. Even Alcans sag and wear over time. Up to you if you want to pay over double for them & what your intended purpose is for your Xterra.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I think we are definitely on the same page. My concern is that I buy the leaf springs only and all those other parts I could have gotten stay weak and eventually break. I understand what you mean about the calming kit though, I will look into a similar kit or piece my own together from 4x4 parts. So as far as an aftermarket oem replacement, what would be your recommendation? I have heard that the alcan's sometimes aren't worth the price they ask.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts