Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
First time here and so glad to find this forum.
I was wondering if some of you could point me in the right direction.
I got the 2002 Xterra 3.3L.
Got a Service Enginee Soon light come on and took it to Nissan. They said I had an oil leak and it damaged my front driver side catalytic converter. They said I need to replace both valve cover gaskets, catalytic converter, and rear main seal for the grand total of $3700 :(
I looked online and a catalytic converter cost about $250 and gaskets are about $15. They are selling the catalytic converter for $1400 :(
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to replacing the catalytic converter my self and the valve cover gaskets and the rear main seal. Or what you guys think?

·
ASE Certified
4,772 Posts
Niether the Rear Main Seal leaking nor the Valve Cover Gaskets leaking would ruin your cat. Your rear main seal might not even be leaking to be honest. Most of the time its an oil leak from somewhere else and oil always flows towads the rear lowest point of the engine makeing some body misiagnose a RMS as an oil leak when its not actually leaking. Still it could be your RMS leaking. Honestly, take it to another dealer for a second opinion and don't mention the previous diagnosis.

Where are you from?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks silverbullet, I will take it to another dealer tomorrow.
I am in Atlanta, GA.

So you are saying that the front catalytic converter can't get damaged by an oil leak? What the heak are they talking about then????

·
ASE Certified
4,772 Posts
It could be but it would be an internal leak causing oil to burn. How many miles are on your X? Some dealers will honor up to an 80,000 mile warranty on a cat. If your cat went bad then its either due to the catalyst getting too hot and clogging up or melting together or it has gotten tot he point that it just can't process the emissions anymore due to age.

I'm sure someone in the Atlanta area can recommend a good dealer. Maybe make a thread titled "need a recommendation for an honest dealer in the Atlanta GA area."
someone from that area will definetly notice it then. I'd offer to help witht he repair or recommend a dealer but I'm in PA

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks man. It got about 130K on it and it's '02. I will take it to another dealership tomorrow and see what they say. As for the repairs, do you know of any step-by-step guides online for cat. conv. and the VCGs?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, just got the paperwork from the dealer and here is what they wrote up:
Cause: Ran Diag, found 2 failure codes stored PO430 and PO328 BANK#2 Converter & knock sensor. Also oil leak.
Recommend: Replace BANK#2 Catalyst Converter Assembly EST$1400, Replace both valve cover gaskets $925. MUST recommend to replace rear main seal leaking oil.
Do you translated as I do? That Oil leak has nothing to do with Cat Conv as they told me? What do those codes mean?

·
ASE Certified
4,772 Posts
P0430 is the Knock sensor code. If your engine isnt supercharged dont worry about it. It wont turn on your MIL. P0328 must be the converter code but i'm not sure what exactly the code is. Probably a catalyst inefficency code. Still, take it to another dealer for another opinion and don't mention the previous diagnosis.

·
Registered
20 Posts
you have it bass ackwards !

i have the same two codes mang..

p0328 is the high voltage knock sensor... PITA!

p0430 is the bank2 rear o2 sensor saying "hey your drivers side main cat is clogged to shit!"

i just replaced my motor for less than $3700 :) that dealer sucks.... although the knock sensor and RMS are time consuming issues....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi all,
Just an update. Replaced my cat with no problems. Didn't have to heat anything up. The nuts came right off after a little pressure. I found out that from factory, you will always get it with just bolts and nuts. If you ever get the cats serviced but anyone, they use the universal fit cats and that why they are wielded on.
Did not replace my VCG's cause they didn't really leak. Maybe a drop every hour so it's OK now and it is a pain in the assss to replace the left one.
Have not taken my X to get the codes cleared out yet to see if all is fixed.

Thanks for all your help here.
:pfeilimkopf-big:

·
Registered
3 Posts
help

Hey guys, got a 2002 xterra thats having some issues. When i drive it on the road i have a complete loss of power and it only wants to go about 35 mph. i took it to a mechanic and after taking it for a short drive he said that it was my catalytic converter( or converters) was clogged up and needed replacing. my check engine light hasnt come on during this whole process so i thought that was kinda odd. Another mechanic told me it could have to do with the distributer as well. any thoughts on what the proper diagnosis could be on this on..

·
Registered
17 Posts
your cats will not cause your vehicle to loss power or reduce your speed. Have you done your timing belt, water pump, etc? I would replace the fuel filter which is fairly easy and inexpensive to do. You can check your distributor by taking the top off and seeing if there are medal shaving inside. There are tons of posting on this issue and how to fix it. Just do a search on the homepage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
First time here and so glad to find this forum.
I was wondering if some of you could point me in the right direction.
I got the 2002 Xterra 3.3L.
Got a Service Enginee Soon light come on and took it to Nissan. They said I had an oil leak and it damaged my front driver side catalytic converter. They said I need to replace both valve cover gaskets, catalytic converter, and rear main seal for the grand total of $3700 :(
I looked online and a catalytic converter cost about $250 and gaskets are about $15. They are selling the catalytic converter for $1400 :(
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to replacing the catalytic converter my self and the valve cover gaskets and the rear main seal. Or what you guys think?

An oil caused my converter to fail as well but more so the burning of oil inside the motor my nissan is 21 years old so I believe I got my money worth

1 - 16 of 16 Posts