Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every so often my 2000 3.3 will crank but not start. It doesnt do it all the time and when it does it is usually after i have driven it for a while. After a few minutes of trying it will eventually kick over. The upper engine was rebuilt back in 14 and due to the location of various sensors on this thing they were replaced at that time whether needed or not. The transmission was rebuilt in 16 (5 speed manual). Any ideas? Its hard to get a diagnosis anywhere since they always want you to bring it in and this is not an everyday issue. sometimes 1 time a week other times couple months in between never consistent issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this same issue less than a month ago. It ended up being the starter (which I knew already kind of knew). I’d get it fixed relatively soon because eventually it will leave you stranded at 3 am in a Waffle House parking lot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's about the only thing I haven't replaced yet. At 1st thought it was battery mostly for the reason the battery was 5 years old but still did it after replacing that. I will see what replacement of the starter does.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If the engine will crank but not start then it is very unlikely to be the starter motor. I would suspect either an ignition switch or a distributor starting to fail

·
Registered
60 Posts
Was the distributor replaced as an effort to correct this issue? In my personal opinion, anything except a factory distributor will eventually leave you stranded and are not to be trusted. Even the OE ones have a finite lifespan. It’s most helpful to find out what part of the equation is missing when the vehicle won’t start. A spark tester will tell you if the coil is firing and a noid light will tell you if you’ve got injector pulse. Other than compression, that’s all there is to it. Compression isn’t generally the type of thing that comes and goes

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No distributor was replaced after upper engine rebuild due to the faulty coil inside. All injectors have been replaced as well with OEM. Those repairs were performed by a repair facility.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are you throwing any codes? I've had cam position sensors act like that. In fact I had one on 06 4 liter cause the fuel pump to occasionally lose its prime. Next time it acts up turn all noise off, turn key to on and listen for the fuel pump priming.. a weak battery can cause the cam pos. sens. to act up also

1 - 8 of 8 Posts