Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new here and appreciate any input. I have an 03 Xterra manual transmission, shifting into 4x4 has a seperate stick from the standard 5 speed. The shifting knob says it has 4 positions, 2H, 4H , N and 4L.

This is fine and all however there is only two positions the stick seems to lock into, 2H and 4L, I get a green light on my dash showing me all 4 tires are enabled but that's it. My concern here is that I go too fast and am in 4L.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks!

View attachment 75968

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,319 Posts
If you need 4WD you shouldn’t really be going that fast to begin with. In order to get into 4L the trans must be in neutral and you have to pull back and press down hard to engage and lock into 4L.

The procedure for shifting the transfer case into 4H and 4L is printed on the headliner above the drivers side visor.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The shift lever should move in two ways, you can row it back to you but it also pushes down. If you dont push down it should only go from 2H to 4H if you push down it will move past 4h to n and 4L.

Maybe the lever is stuck in the down position and it is going right past 4h. It always goes past neutral you just have to find neutral by feel. Are you sure you are in 4L? In 5 gear in 4L you will only be able to do about 25mph.

I only use 2H and 4L myself. I have bigger tires then stock and need as lower gearing as i can get, as first gear in the manual is not that low any more. The trails I drive are not ones you can go over 25 mph on anyway, big rocks, steep, tight turns, deep ruts.

when you shift from 2H to 4H the shifter only moves a little, just a few inches. Then you push down and pull it back more to go in to N and 4L.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey all, new here and appreciate any input. I have an 03 Xterra manual transmission, shifting into 4x4 has a seperate stick from the standard 5 speed. The shifting knob says it has 4 positions, 2H, 4H , N and 4L.

This is fine and all however there is only two positions the stick seems to lock into, 2H and 4L, I get a green light on my dash showing me all 4 tires are enabled but that's it. My concern here is that I go too fast and am in 4L.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks!

View attachment 75968
I always stop put into neutral then shift into 4H, then put in reverse three feet hear clicks! go

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L V6
362 Posts
I'm a new owner of '02 so I assume that the transfer case gears are only engaged when in 4H or 4L
You are correct.

When the front is engaged, it is locked to the same output speed as the rear since there is no additional differential gearing involved, as there might be with an AWD-type vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts