Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Still tracking down my lifter ticking issue once warm. Going over a few other posts elsewhere and looking at the FSM, it appears there is an o-ring between the oil filter bracket and the oil pump. My pressure drops very low as the oil reaches operating temp. I'm wondering if I neglected to put this o-ring in since i dont remember seeing one when i bolted the bracket on...it may be aerating the oil as it thins or allowing oil to drain back? Does anyone know where to locate that o-ring, and/or ever experienced the same issue. I cannot seem to locate a source for that ring. Every other o ring on that engine I've had to special order due to being an odd size I didn't have. I attached the schematic. Its where the "X" is indicating to replace when reinstalling the filter bracket. Thanks all

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
If the "O" ring in the illustration was missing, then you would have a major oil leak.

You state that the oil pressure is low. Have you checked it with an external gauge and compared the results to the FSM?

With regards to the lifter noise, is it from one lifter or all? Have you checked the exhaust manifold for leaks at the head, this noise can mimic a bad lifter, it is not uncommon for the end studs to break off and leak.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for replying.

Further investigating that o ring, it does not appear there is one there. I did get a new gasket for there as the one that came with the kit looked like junk. I'll end up replacing that soon. I did replace the gasket between the pickup tube and pump a few days ago and gained oil pressure significantly.

I do have an external oil pressure gauge. It's now running at about 65 psi at idle, cold, and 15 at idle, warm. It appears to be within spec per FSM. However, still getting lifter noise.

Several manifold studs I replaced prior to reinstalling the engine. It does not appear to be manifold noise as I've ever experienced in the past. It goes away as the rpms raise, and oil pressure raises. Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.