Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 Xterra. I turn it on. Sometimes it says od is off. I turn vehicle off and back on. Light no longer on. Does not do it while driving. So far turning it off and on always fixes the light. Any ideas what's going on?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
either the tcm is acting up on its self check at start up, it has an electrical issue inside the transmission or is a bit low on fluid

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it. I had trans fluids filters etc already done. Having cam shaft sensor replaced tomorrow. I'll ask him about it then.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it. I had trans fluids filters etc already done. Having cam shaft sensor replaced tomorrow. I'll ask him about it then.
ok so the fluid and filter is newish thats good, how long after the change did this start?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It happened before the change and after. It's random. Just some times I turn it on and light is on. Turn it off. Next time I turn engine on again. Light is off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
06 Xterra. I turn it on. Sometimes it says od is off. I turn vehicle off and back on. Light no longer on. Does not do it while driving. So far turning it off and on always fixes the light. Any ideas what's going on?
It’s not an issue at all. O/D stands for Overdrive, this means that when overdrive is off the car will switch to a higher higher gear and have increased speed. If your going any place over 40-45mph I recommend keeping overdrive on, but if your going under that, I believe it helps in terms of gas, you can keep it off. The switch for O/D is right on your PRNDL, directly under the button you press to switch gears

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Normally yeah. I don't worry about it. I rarely leave town or get on highways. I just check before I do leave town that the light is off. If it's on. I just turn it off. Wait a second and turn back on. I haven't noticed the overdrive button but I'll look. Still learning where everything is on it.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
It’s not an issue at all. O/D stands for Overdrive, this means that when overdrive is off the car will switch to a higher higher gear and have increased speed. If your going any place over 40-45mph I recommend keeping overdrive on, but if your going under that, I believe it helps in terms of gas, you can keep it off. The switch for O/D is right on your PRNDL, directly under the button you press to switch gears
except the o/d off light isnt supposed to randomly come on while driving unless you smack the button

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It doesn't come on while driving. I don't touch any button to turn it off or on, just sometimes when I start it. It's on. Next time I start up, light is off. This happens when the only thing I have touched is the key to turn the ignition. It hadn't caused any problems but it shouldn't do that on its own.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
It doesn't come on while driving. I don't touch any button to turn it off or on, just sometimes when I start it. It's on. Next time I start up, light is off. This happens when the only thing I have touched is the key to turn the ignition. It hadn't caused any problems but it shouldn't do that on its own.
exactly not sure what that other guy is talking about, it shouldnt just stay on when you did not turn o/d off nor should it stay on after the initial ignition startup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts