Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I’ve done quite a bit of research and testing on my 2005 xterra, I ended up finding I have a fried TCM. I didn’t find any trans fluid in rad so that’s good. Anyways I’m guessing my options are buying a used trans about $1500. Valve body assembly $750 or a junkyard valve body $80 which is dang near impossible to find here in Kentucky. Obviously I’d choose the used pull your self junkyard valve body first if I can find one but since I’m having no luck finding one does anyone know of any absolute 100 transmission swaps from another vehicle that would work with my 2005. From my understanding I could get a new trans I’d just have to install the old TCM into it in order for it to communicate with the ECM which in that case I might as well put it in my current trans. Problem being is I have no clue of that condition of my current trans. When I drained the fluid it had kind of a dirty reddish look to it. I’m assuming it’s breakdown from the synchronizers. At this point I’m just really trying to find a viable solution that is the cheapest route. Also, if anyone could point me into the right direction for xterra parts I’d be forever grateful. Here attached is the my xterra first mod I did was the side step removal. Hope this one works out.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The TCM is almost certainly fried due to water contamination. I’ve seen a few fail otherwise but it’s typically when hot it will drop out and you’ll get CAN codes. Shorted, blowing fuses is almost certainly 100% water intrusion. The person who sold you this car probably did a good job removing traces of water from the trans to get the highest resale he could. The water is poison for the electronics and also for the clutches. If you install a new valve body, it will need to be programmed. These things come blank. If you install a used one, the programming may not be correct and it takes a thorough knowledge of the OE scanner to push the correct software into a control unit that’s already been programmed. I would get a reman trans or a used trans from a model that wasn’t affected and have the dealer push the correct software into it. They may tell you that this is not possible and you may have to talk to a master technician directly to get this accomplished. If you get a reman trans from nissan they should have no issues getting it programmed properly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The TCM is almost certainly fried due to water contamination. I’ve seen a few fail otherwise but it’s typically when hot it will drop out and you’ll get CAN codes. Shorted, blowing fuses is almost certainly 100% water intrusion. The person who sold you this car probably did a good job removing traces of water from the trans to get the highest resale he could. The water is poison for the electronics and also for the clutches. If you install a new valve body, it will need to be programmed. These things come blank. If you install a used one, the programming may not be correct and it takes a thorough knowledge of the OE scanner to push the correct software into a control unit that’s already been programmed. I would get a reman trans or a used trans from a model that wasn’t affected and have the dealer push the correct software into it. They may tell you that this is not possible and you may have to talk to a master technician directly to get this accomplished. If you get a reman trans from nissan they should have no issues getting it programmed properly.

Looks like this one is gonna be a booger. I’m a certified diesel mechanic so I’m gonna give it a shot and see if a junk yard valve body and Lucas trans fluid will hold it over or at least get it to move by itself. I’m gonna try to see if there is any way I could swap bell housings and make another trans work. I’ve done diesel conversions but nothing like this. I may even try to rebuild the trans. The programming is gonna be the tricky part. Do you know what the program software would consist of. Is it like a compatibility deal to make sure the ECM and TCM communicate.

·
Registered
191 Posts
All of the 4.0L automatic transmissions should work provided you get the right 4wd/2wd configurations. Getting a junkyard valve body is a much bigger gamble because there’s many more vehicles it could fit. For instance, you could get a Titan valve body which came with floor shift or column shift models and used different overdrive off logic. Honestly you’d probably be fine with any 4x4 frontier/pathfinder/xterra with whatever software is in there. I still think the biggest issue is going to be the condition of the friction material.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah you do got a good point there. I actually pressure tested the radiator with the trans pan off and I had no coolant pressure bleed off and the radiator looks clean, it actually looks a couple years old. Do you know of any good places to get cheap parts for these xterras.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
try - Mazda Nissan Heaven they are a local to me junkyard that only deal with mazda and nissan (they have other ones for other brands) they ship pretty much anywhere and have excellent prices i got a used differential when i wrecked my 2011 and bent the axles inside the diff for $350 shipped locally to my shop had less than 50,k miles and they guarantee it will work i think for 30 days

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
try - Mazda Nissan Heaven they are a local to me junkyard that only deal with mazda and nissan (they have other ones for other brands) they ship pretty much anywhere and have excellent prices i got a used differential when i wrecked my 2011 and bent the axles inside the diff for $350 shipped locally to my shop had less than 50,k miles and they guarantee it will work i think for 30 days
thank you very much im going to look into them! Here In Kentucky I haven’t had much luck in finding any parts. Especially a transmission

1 - 9 of 9 Posts