Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 xterra 23000 miles in virginia and cant pass the rapidpass road tests. i have noticed the engine at idol drops from around 1400 to 1100 rpm and has a rough idol coming back up to 1400. seams like a injector or a coil over pack.
any other things cause this? which one's goes out first?

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L V6
245 Posts
It should not be idling that high.

What engine and what transmission?

·
Registered
165 Posts
2012 xterra 23000 miles in virginia and cant pass the rapidpass road tests. i have noticed the engine at idol drops from around 1400 to 1100 rpm and has a rough idol coming back up to 1400. seams like a injector or a coil over pack.
any other things cause this? which one's goes out first?
Are you getting any check engine codes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nope no codes no lights just a rough idol every so often.
thinking this must be the coil overs,i don't hear a exhaust leak and it holds pressure when i block the pipe. if it was a injector, symptom no fuel so cylinder would be dry fire no exhaust so no emission change, but a coil over not firing would cause un-bernt fuel and failed test and drop the rpm's like that! or could be increased rpms to makeup for failed coil-over

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
777 Posts
If engine speed at idle is out of specification for even a brief time then it will set a DTC P0507 and throttle opening will be limited resulting in extremely low power. Idle speed is almost certainly not your issue.

Is the mileage of 23,000 correct and does your vehicle have any modifications

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes mileage is correct, idle speed was never the issue, no mods.

the issue is that it is not passing state emissions test, and getting a rough idle...
Idle drops every minute or two for aprox. 5 seconds then pick back up....

·
Registered
51 Posts
In what way is it not passing the emission test? Is the hydrocarbons too high or too much NOx or too much carbon monoxide?

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L V6
245 Posts
8 years old with 23,ooo miles = about 3ooo miles a year. It could just be crudded up from not being driven.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts